Microwave leak detector

inspector808

I've opted to pull it out about six or seven times in that twelve years.

Insert funny comment about marriage here [................................ ]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oh, don't get me started, Terry... Boy, did you hit that one clean out of the park. It only took me twenty years and two marriages to understand that equation. [:-graduat Even in our every day inspecting life, I know that we constantly observe that a happy and fulfilling marriage is a rare gem. I have to smile every time I hear a fellow say, "I didn't want to move, but, when moma's happy everyone is happy." (ouch)

I can actually say that I retired from most of life's drama and began inspecting homes all at roughly the same time. Hence, the last fifteen years, or so, have been 'the good life'. [:-party] I did get five awesome kids out of the whole deal that I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China.

Umm.. where were we? Oh, yes.. Microwave leak detectors. I am myself slightly curious if anyone routinely brandishes one although I doubt it. I think I got one back when it was detirmined that microwaves and pace-makers didn't like each other.

I tell folks during the pre-inspection phase when they're getting ready to sign that contract that I'm not going to be testing microwaves or kitchen counters, checking high tension wires with a gauss meter, testing for microwave leakage, looking for poltergeists or any other kind of inspector voodoo - I'm there to inspect the house and the things that make the house work, not the convenient to have accessories.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I tell folks during the pre-inspection phase when they're getting ready to sign that contract that I'm not going to be testing microwaves or kitchen counters, checking high tension wires with a gauss meter, testing for microwave leakage, looking for poltergeists or any other kind of inspector voodoo - I'm there to inspect the house and the things that make the house work, not the convenient to have accessories.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Mike, if you change your mind about the poltergeist thing I have some slightly used equipment...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201013103025_gb2pack_playskool2000.jpg

63.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201013103055_gbtrap_playskool2000.jpg

37 KB

Microwave leak detector? No way. I give appliances a cursory glance at best. Does the range have an anti tip bracket? Is the dishwasher attached to the counter top? Did the light come on when I opened the fridge door? Was it cold inside and colder in the freezer? All that assumes that they aren't old enough to vote, old appliances get written off and I report that they should be replaced. Vintage appliances on the otherhand are well worth the look.

Tom

Microwave leak detector? No way. I give appliances a cursory glance at best. Does the range have an anti tip bracket? Is the dishwasher attached to the counter top? Did the light come on when I opened the fridge door? Was it cold inside and colder in the freezer? All that assumes that they aren't old enough to vote, old appliances get written off and I report that they should be replaced. Vintage appliances on the otherhand are well worth the look.

Tom

I handle it pretty much the same as Tom. I got more important things to be spending time on.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's a built in microwave, I carry a plastic bottle that's about half full of water with me and throw it in, start the microwave and run it for a minute to see if the water gets hot or not. I have found a couple that way that made a lot of noise but didn't actually heat anything. Check where the power comes from, and make sure the microwave is attached firmly to the cabinetry/walls. I did have one in a new construction that almost came crashing down. If the microwave is just sitting on the counter, forget it. I started out with a leak detector, but lost it several years ago and have never missed it.

Charlie

If it's a built in microwave, I carry a plastic bottle that's about half full of water with me and throw it in, start the microwave and run it for a minute to see if the water gets hot or not. I have found a couple that way that made a lot of noise but didn't actually heat anything. Check where the power comes from, and make sure the microwave is attached firmly to the cabinetry/walls. I did have one in a new construction that almost came crashing down. If the microwave is just sitting on the counter, forget it. I started out with a leak detector, but lost it several years ago and have never missed it.

Charlie

I'm more technical than that. Yung usually tests all of the appliances but when she's not there and I do it, I usually step into the half bath, tear off a sheet of toilet paper, walk to the sink and wet it under the faucet, squeeze the excess water out, pop it in the microwave and nuke it for 10 seconds and then toss it to the client all nice and warm and say, say, "My company spares no expense for the latest test equipment."

It's quick and easy and gets a chuckle every time.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I had one last week where the clients just couldn't figure out why the pocket door had a bunch of holes in it.

I'm sure you have already figured out that the pocket door slides into the wall behind the range and of course, the microwave. The resulting poor installation resulted in a damaged pocket door and a microwave unit left swinging from the cabinet over the range.

Then there's always the ones with minimal clearance from the cooktop. Can't get enough of those.

As for testing, I carry a small plastic cup. I draw some water from the water at the fridge to see if the supply is working, then heat for 60 seconds to see if it warms the water. I have also found 2 or 3 that make all the right noises but don't actually heat anything up.

Wayne G

• 2 months later...