backflow preventer

John Dirks Jr

Could the drum trap cause a gurgling sound in the kitchen drain? The kitchen sink drain was a bit slow. After the water drained you would hear a series of gurgle sounds for a few minutes.

It's a grease trap, like Bill said.

That sucker doesn't look like the lids been popped for cleaning in a few decades. Open it up (prepare yourself for some serious nastiness), clean it out.

Then see how the kitchen sink works.

I should have figured it as a trap. The in pipe is on the bottom. The out pipe on the other side is closer to, but not all the way at the top.

Am I correct to assume that the intent is to trap the grease in the area above the upper connection? IE, the grease floats on the top and is trapped while the water flows through the outlet that is below that level?

I guess after a time the upper cavity is filled to capacity with greasy grime that the purpose of the device is defeated. Would that be correct?

The more one learns how things function, the easier it is to be correct in guessing what something is, even if you have never seen it before.

I should know that most backflow preventors look more like an inline arrangement with the in and out pipes at the same level.

I should have figured it as a trap. The in pipe is on the bottom. The out pipe on the other side is closer to, but not all the way at the top.

Am I correct to assume that the intent is to trap the grease in the area above the upper connection? IE, the grease floats on the top and is trapped while the water flows through the outlet that is below that level?

I guess after a time the upper cavity is filled to capacity with greasy grime that the purpose of the device is defeated. Would that be correct?

The more one learns how things function, the easier it is to be correct in guessing what something is, even if you have never seen it before.

I should know that most backflow preventors look more like an inline arrangement with the in and out pipes at the same level.

It's usually just a very simple baffle system.