Temporary Repair or not

inspector_anatol

Fellow Inspectors,

Would you consider these temporary repairs or a permanent install?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201032175745_DSC08963.jpg

35.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201032175825_DSC08947.jpg

33.46 KB

Anatol

MJ clamps have been around for a very long time. With a DWV designation, they can be found throughout the plumbing system, in drains, waste and vents.

They can be very helpful in renovations in the transitioning of different size and composition pipes such as cast to plastic, copper to plastic and even cast to cast where a coupling is not available. I remember combing the city for the better part of a day looking for a 5x4 to connect a 4" ABS line to an existing 5" clay line without that coupling I would have been in deep trouble.

Personally, I would have used an ABS/Copper coupling and changed the trap arm and P trap to ABS cuz I like plastic and the parts are readily available. I'll guess that the basins were upgraded and the location of the new tail piece didn't line up with the old drain system so the owner either didn't know about the coupling or was given unprofessional advice at the big box store.

Regardless, I would call the repair permanent but unconventional something I wouldn't loose sleep over.

The person that did those repairs had no clue on how to replace a tailpiece hence the hose and pipe clamps.

Will it leak? Probably not. Will it last? Most likely. Does it look like an idiot tried to repair it? Absolutely.

Hopefully the same person didn't tackle electrical repairs/improvements in the home.

I might be mis-reading, but I'm pretty sure thats not a piece of hose and a few hose clamps. They look like a Fernco style connection.

Although I'm under the impression you must use the ones that are shielded with a metal sleeve to keep critters from being able to chew through them.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201033183545_shielded-couplings-stainless-steel-shear-rings.jpg

6.68 KB

I might be mis-reading, but I'm pretty sure thats not a piece of hose and a few hose clamps. They look like a Fernco style connection.

Although I'm under the impression you must use the ones that are shielded with a metal sleeve to keep critters from being able to chew through them.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201033183545_shielded-couplings-stainless-steel-shear-rings.jpg

6.68 KB

That could be but the main purpose for the sleeve on the strong back coupling is to protect the soft rubber against abrasion and provide rigidity to the joint.

That's something you don't need in a small load application like a basin trap arm.