Does this tile roof look right?

stiches9

The hip/ridge cap should not be installed on the gutter edge. There should be a gutter there and I imagine that there is not one because the contractor who installed the other gutters could not figure out how to make a curved gutter. Or maybe some other reason.

An old mentor of mine used to tell me to "be water". When I "be water" on this roof, I could/will:

run down the side of the house and erode the facade
leak into the house through the windows/rot the windows
erode the soil at the foundation
cause foundation leaks

Just a whole list of bad stuff that could be solved with a simple gutter system.

Odd looking trim installed on the 2nd story eaves and no gutter on same. Not that the gutter is required but that I don't see how the contractor rationalized gutters just on the 1st story and not the 2nd story. I wish there was a way to confirm the presence of a steel moment frame in that center wall with all those fenestration openings, because that wall doesn't seem to be in the same plane as the walls on either side. And look at the valleys on either side. A wall projects halfway into them. It's a flashing nightmare unless it's well soldered copper.

Marc

Something about this didn't make intuitive sense to me, but I'm not a roofer.

The roofer probably did what he could when faced with such a stupid design.

People who design this crap really need to get a clue.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

They are called, "architects."

I didn't realize this until after my first post but that center wall appears to be a convex shaped wall (from the outside) except for a horizontal foot or two from each side. That might explain the odd eaves trim: The contractor couldn't, or didn't want to cut the clay tiles, so he 'patched' it with the trim pieces. One wonders if there is a problem with the roof finish at that point. Sounds like ample motivation to get a long extension ladder. Might be lots of trouble but might be an important finding too.

Marc

Another weak spot will be where the valley hits the wall. The stone and mortar will be constantly saturated. Who knows what's going on with the other side.

Not a very goog design for sure.

Edit: I see that Marc already pointed this out.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201039195631_roof.jpg

47.1 KB

After some reasearch I see that a Ms. Lisa was the design engineer.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103920541_Mona.jpg

3.04 KB

Thanks for the great input - I only noticed the strange ridge cap where the gutter would be, but you guys found other stuff... Since I'm not working on the house itself, I'm trying to figure out a diplomatic way to approach this as we prepare a bid for outdoor kitchen, patio, firepit, etc. outside. Any comments would be most appreciated.

(maybe I'll have Ms. Lisa talk to them ;-))

Well, since you didn't build the house, I would avoid mentioning any of the stuff we found to your customer. Customers have a way of sticking your name on things that you didn't even do if you so much as mention them. It's psychology.

Stick with the outdoor kitchen, etc and do it right. Do it proudly.

Marc

• 1 month later...

They are called, "architects."

Hi there, I'm a roofing contractor.

In Australia of late, architects have started to move back to a more standard roofing design. We went through a stage there where it got pretty ridiculous. Hips and valleys that that ran no-where. hips in places they didn't need to be etc. Roofs when finished were not functional and on many occasions, major rectifications were needed.

Possibly bad training?

A big elegant house i can understand having intricate roofing designs, but leave the average house alone i say!

cheers.