Blocked Ground Pin hole in three slot receptacle

Erby

A four year old house had several of the ground pin holes blocked in the outlets by a couple of little brass pieces. I couldn't plug a three prong tester into them.

Looked like it was designed that way but for the life of me, I can't figure out why?

Anyone seen this before.

When I first looked at it, it looked like just like the ground pin from my test had broken off, kind of an upside down U but smooth finished metal, not a jagged surface like a broken pin.

By the time I saw the third one, I started wondering.

Several is probably 10 or 15 of them. That's a lot of broken ground pins.

My macro didn't work well and the picture overexposed. Doesn't show much of anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into these twice this week. They look like they were split, but never pressed open....?

I pushed my luck a couple of times and got the ground to go. Most of them wouldn't budge.

The one in the pic is from today. Most had two tabs, with a split in the middle.

The house is nine.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201042321026_035.jpg

19.68 KB

• 2 years later...

Did you ever find an answer to the blocked ground pin? I just purchased an 1980 house in which the top three slot receptacle is normal and the bottom three slot receptacle has blocked ground pins. This is true of all the outlets throughout the house. So basically all I can use are the top outlets. Very strange.

Thought I'd find an answer to this online, but your post to this forum is all I've found so far.

Did you ever find an answer to the blocked ground pin? I just purchased an 1980 house in which the top three slot receptacle is normal and the bottom three slot receptacle has blocked ground pins. This is true of all the outlets throughout the house. So basically all I can use are the top outlets. Very strange.

Thought I'd find an answer to this online, but your post to this forum is all I've found so far.

My guess is that some kid plugged up all those lower grounds to amuse himself.

Kids do strange things.

Marc

You have an opportunity to enlighten us all. Remove a receptacle, look on the back to find the manufacturer and the model info, and call them up and ask.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks Eric. Cooper tamper-resistant receptacle. Helps prevents foreign objects from being inserted into outlet

The plug prevents people from inserting foreign objects, like a 3-prong circuit tester. They are just trying to keep us all safe. [:)]

TR receptacles have been required in all new construction here for the last few years. They don't have anything covering the ground slot.

Thanks Eric. Cooper tamper-resistant receptacle. Helps prevents foreign objects from being inserted into outlet

The plug prevents people from inserting foreign objects, like a 3-prong circuit tester. They are just trying to keep us all safe. [:)]

TR receptacles have been required in all new construction here for the last few years. They don't have anything covering the ground slot.

Same here. After a while one develops a knack of wiggling the tester just right to get the TR device to allow the tester to go in.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!!

Mike