asbestos insulated vent?

kimball gray

1950's house. Hot water tank has a b-vent attached to the exhaust hood on the tank. the b-vent goes up into the attic. Once in the attic, I see this pipe vent that looks like asbestos. What is it? There is another one on the gas heater vent in the attic space.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201072217519_100_0684.jpg

45.64 KB

1950's house. Hot water tank has a b-vent attached to the exhaust hood on the tank. the b-vent goes up into the attic. Once in the attic, I see this pipe vent that looks like asbestos. What is it? There is another one on the gas heater vent in the attic space.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201072217519_100_0684.jpg

45.64 KB

It is a transite flue pipe, aka cement asbestos pipe.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/ ... slookF.htm

We've discussed this before, Kimball. I think there were a couple of dissenting opinions, but you should know that most of us don't think Transite flue-pipes pose safety issues when they're located in attics and therefore we don't recommend replacement.

of course if your clients kids decide to go up there and chop it up and snort it you will be getting a call as to why you said it was OK. Asbestos is Asbestos no matter where it is and should be reported as such. Whether they can live with it, or not, should be up to them, not you!

I'd recommend it be replaced because it's too big for a water heater and Transite and gas ( I'm assuming it's not an oil fired water heater) fired appliances don't play well together. The gas fired exhaust gets cooled with dilution air and is well on its way to to a condensing temperature prior to entering the Transite flue. The Transite flue heats slowly and and the resulting acidic condensate erodes its interior.

Finally, I've never seen a gas appliance (excluding condensing units)that specified any material other than metal for a flue.

I'd recommend it be replaced because it's too big for a water heater and Transite and gas ( I'm assuming it's not an oil fired water heater) fired appliances don't play well together. The gas fired exhaust gets cooled with dilution air and is well on its way to to a condensing temperature prior to entering the Transite flue. The Transite flue heats slowly and and the resulting acidic condensate erodes its interior.

Finally, I've never seen a gas appliance (excluding condensing units)that specified any material other than metal for a flue.

That last sentence . . . even if Transite would function properly, would a manufacturer really put in its instructions, "connection to an approved metal or Transite asbestos-containing flue pipe?" : )

• 2 weeks later...