Telescopic ladder

blazenut

Do any of you guys carry telescopic ladders? I currently use a 12' little giant type ladder for hatch attics, but for various reasons I need to get a smaller ladder. Ive always been hesitant to buy one of these because of ease of use, and i have never seen one in person to test. Which ones are the best, easiest to set up, etc.? Thanks.

I've used an extend-n-climb for 2-3 years and like it a lot. I use it mostly for getting into attics. I once used it in the rain and then left it in the van for a few days before getting it out again and it would not extend anymore. I called the company and they sent me a new one, no cost.

I've been using the same 12½' Telesteps for the last 6 years or so, with zero problems. I know some think it's a tad "flexy", but I don't have a problem with it. I do also carry a 21' Little Giant, but that stays on the car more times than not as I can get on the vast majority of roofs around here using just the Telesteps (your mileage may vary). Even if you only use it inside it is a worthwhile investment, especially for those tight, inside-a-closet, attic hatches. IMO, you'll soon be kicking yourself for not getting one earlier.

I have no experience with the other brand (Extend and Climb) but I can't see how it could be any easier to use.

I've used Tele-Steps for years and they're the nuts. I also have an Extend and Climb that I recently bought, and I'm digging it, too. I use the 24' extension ladder on my truck maybe once a month.

Two extendable ladders work great for higher roofs if there's a porch- or garage-roof below the main one. And that way if I were to fall, it's only one story.

BTW, if you do end up with a Telesteps I have a good "upgrade". I used to go through the rubber feet quite quickly (every 6 months or so). It was due to the tube ends being sharp and cutting through the rubber at the ground contact point. I fixed that by first smoothing the ends with emory cloth and then applying 4 or 5 thicknesses of electrical tape over the ends. I've had the same set of feet on for the last 3 years now. The tape also better secures the feet so they don't pull off easily if you hook them on something.

I've not had a problem with getting it wet although it did freeze up on me once. I took it inside the house and it was fine 10 minutes later. I clean and silicone spray the tubes once a year...if that.

Marc, I just don't find that I have much need for a step ladder. There are occasions where I will, carefully, borrow a chair for a little extra height (checking a light fixture for power, etc). I do have the Little Giant if I really need one.

Telesteps. They get noodly after 5-6 years, and I'm due for another set.

Do NOT WD40 the mechanisms. Take a little WD40 on a rag to wipe down the extending frame components.

I also like the Extend-n-Climb.

In addition, I have a 12' and 21' LG, and a 28' fiberglass extension on every job.

BTW, if you do end up with a Telesteps I have a good "upgrade". I used to go through the rubber feet quite quickly (every 6 months or so). It was due to the tube ends being sharp and cutting through the rubber at the ground contact point. I fixed that by first smoothing the ends with emory cloth and then applying 4 or 5 thicknesses of electrical tape over the ends. I've had the same set of feet on for the last 3 years now. The tape also better secures the feet so they don't pull off easily if you hook them on something.

I've not had a problem with getting it wet although it did freeze up on me once. I took it inside the house and it was fine 10 minutes later. I clean and silicone spray the tubes once a year...if that.

Marc, I just don't find that I have much need for a step ladder. There are occasions where I will, carefully, borrow a chair for a little extra height (checking a light fixture for power, etc). I do have the Little Giant if I really need one.

Hah, interesting, how the learning curve is similar for everyone. I had the same problem RE the feet, and solved the problem with your basic 3" Fernco waste-line cap. The caps last about a year, and once the clamps are tight, the rubber "boot" never falls off, unlike the original feet.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010823212746_DSC05662.jpg

62.52 KB

I use Telesteps because it was readily available and on sale at the time. [:)]

Xtend and Climb are heavier and stronger.

I use Telesteps inside only. I keep it clean in the cab of my Tacoma. I treat it as something made in China from recycled beer cans. In other words, if it's a tough climb over 8 or 9 feet, I go get another ladder.

In 3 years, I've had no problem with the feet.

I've taped the top corners with white electrical tape to eliminate black skid marks on drywall. [:-party]

My 5' fiberglass stepladder has a paint tray I've added so it is my portable outdoor desk. I rarely use it for climbing. My folding Jaws ladder makes a good stepladder for garage attic hatches.

I rarely bring the Telesteps up onto the roof for a second storey climb. I prefer to go with an extension ladder for the tall houses.

I use the extend-and-climb 12.5 for almost all attic access, some roof access, had that for 4 years, wore the rubber feet out, but no other problems. Carry a Werner MT-26 (26' extended) multi-position ladder for the 2-story roofs, same as the Little Giant but cheaper price, used the LG wheel kit to give it wheels. Also carry the LG M-17 because it's lighter when I don't need to go over about 14' or if I need to take it in a home. Just use a 3-step stepstool for short stuff in the home. Carry these in the back of a 2005 Ford Explorer with the one rear seat down.

Only problem I've had is I found out the hard way that when composite material decks are wet, the rubber ladder feet will slide on ya. I've had it happen with both the LG and the Extend-and climb.

I've used an X&C for four years with no problems. I do try to make it a habit to hold down each rung as I extend the section above, and try to make sure its fully extended and locked before extending the section below.

The slippery feet on the X&C IMO are significant hazard on some surfaces, and one to which I've not found a solution.

I've been using the same 12½' Telesteps for the last 6 years or so, with zero problems. I know some think it's a tad "flexy", but I don't have a problem with it. I do also carry a 21' Little Giant, but that stays on the car more times than not as I can get on the vast majority of roofs around here using just the Telesteps (your mileage may vary). Even if you only use it inside it is a worthwhile investment, especially for those tight, inside-a-closet, attic hatches. IMO, you'll soon be kicking yourself for not getting one earlier.

I have no experience with the other brand (Extend and Climb) but I can't see how it could be any easier to use.

Same here with Telesteps, on my second one (like this generation better) use it 98% of inspections, can extend to any size from 2' to full extend, great for closets that have attic access. Carrys into house like a briefcase, no slamming stair railings etc... People often comment and I tell them it really helps me from 'knocking grammas ashes off the mantle'

Only problem I've had is I found out the hard way that when composite material decks are wet, the rubber ladder feet will slide on ya. I've had it happen with both the LG and the Extend-and climb.

All decking is too slippery when wet to safely set up a ladder on, composite and vinyl especially so. Stained and stamped concrete is wicked slippery too. I once had to replace all the vinyl decking on a brand new deck because 6 people fell off of it the first 3 days it was covered in snow.

Set your ladder up on the lawn.

I certainly do try to use the lawn when possible. I was thinking of getting a small pair of golf shoes with the turf spikes to set the ladder feet in, or possible just using the 2 x 4 I test garage doors with and a couple of long deck screws screwed down to the deck as a blocker when I can't :)

• 4 months later...

I saw this telescoping ladder when I was walking past a building. It has adjustible feet bolted to the bottom, which is a good idea when your surface is not level. The user of the ladder was an electrician working on the roof of a marquee hanging above the sidewalk and was not available for questioning. Has anyone seen these or know who sells them? The ladder is a Telesteps brand.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011119193227_IMG_1206.jpg

41.75 KB

Little Giant was at the IBS showing off their new ladders. They don't have anything like a telesteps yet but there were some really nice new products there. The locks have been improved on the folding ladders, the 300# rated ladders are as light as or lighter than the the old 250's and a 350# version is coming soon. The most impressive though, they have started making very light fiberglass ladders. A 28' extension ladder weighs less than 40# and with the optional outriggers less than 50# while a comparable fiberglass model starts around 60#. There are also several step and platform variations available as well. If only they took trade ins!

I've pinched my fingers a few times in my folding ladders (LGs at the day job and Werners for the HI gig), but that's far less traumatic than the collapse stories of the telescopic jobs.

• 1 month later...