Need help Identifying roof material?

palmettoinspect

I inspected a farm house built in 1890 in Johns Island SC yesterday. The home owner claims this is the original roof covering (which I don’t doubt). I’m wondering what the exact name of the roof material is, if there is a correct name, or what I should call it.

Thanks,

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_201091231529_P8310039.jpg

83.2 KB

I inspected a farm house built in 1890 in Johns Island SC yesterday. The home owner claims this is the original roof covering (which I don’t doubt). I’m wondering what the exact name of the roof material is, if there is a correct name, or what I should call it.

Thanks,

Terne?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It's called V-crimp seam metal roofing. If the date of the house is correct, the roof is not original. That type of preformed panel wouldn't be manufactured before 1915 and wasn't widely used until the '30s. It's galvanized, not terne coated.

It was considered inferior by metal workers as it didn't require seaming tongs or soldering irons (or any skill) for installation and the fasteners were exposed. It was popular on farms and remote rural areas, 'cuz it was a do-it-yourself roof, without special skills or tools.

It's called V-crimp seam metal roofing. If the date of the house is correct, the roof is not original. That type of preformed panel wouldn't be manufactured before 1915 and wasn't widely used until the '30s. It's galvanized, not terne coated.

It was considered inferior by metal workers as it didn't require seaming tongs or soldering irons (or any skill) for installation and the fasteners were exposed. It was popular on farms and remote rural areas, 'cuz it was a do-it-yourself roof, without special skills or tools.

If only one could climb inside your head Bill....[:D]

The V-crimp still sold today in my area is available only from small town, old time lumberyards. It has a double crimp at the seams, with one crimp in the middle. Perhaps the material in the OP is how the original V-crimp was manufactured.

Marc