So long and best of luck!

I've been toying with the idea of retiring since before I turned 66 at the beginning of the month.

Last Friday night I tripped going down our stairs, fell, and broke my leg. Those anti-clumsy pills didn't work!

I think this is the Big Guy Upstairs' way of telling me that I'm supposed to retire so I've decided to not renew my license at the end of November. I'll have a cast on my leg for the next 4 - 5 weeks so for all intents and purposes I've retired.

I want to thank you all for your help over these past years. I really appreciate your willingness to share your extensive knowledge and ideas! I regret not being able to give back more to the board but there is so much knowledge here it's a little intimidating.

With the housing market being what it is, we're in trying times but I believe that we're still very fortunate to work in a field where we can truly help our clients. Help them to avoid a heart ache and a financial disaster or provide them with the confidence to make a decision that can improve their lives and as well as their families.

Best of luck to all of you and again thanks very much.

Jeff Beck

Foresight Inspection Service LLC

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the broken leg.

Stop in once in a while & let us know how retirement's going.

Oh, and if you're looking for something to occupy the time for the next 5 weeks or so, check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/

My wife has convinced me to participate this year, along with some other friends. It's the perfect pastime for a retired writer with a broken leg.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Sorry about the leg Jeff - ouch.

I'm not sure I'll ever "retire" and have always thought about this gig as a good way to stay semi-busy. I'm not sure I'd let my license expire....

On the upside you can hang out at ski lodges and have something to talk about with the snow bunnies.

I think more like Terry. Home Inspections, for someone that's been doing it forever, is a great semi-retirement gig. Do them as often as you wish. Do four and five day weekends of travel - site seeing, etc.

The idea of "retirement" seems so final. Why not keep the license and see how the rest of your thinking plays out for a bit?

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the leg. I wish you a fast recovery without any complications.

Thanks for being part of the TIJ family and stop back and visit us often and don't be afraid to contribute. I've discovered that everyone who comes here can contribute something worthwhile to the overall body of knowledge here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Wow!!

I lost my Internet connection over the weekend and when I signed on this morning I was blown away by all your best wishes. You guys continue to amaze me!

Jim K., I think I may take your advice about the novel writing contest. When I visited the site you referenced, I couldn't help thinking about the great quote from Wayne Gretzky, "You miss 100% of the shots that you never take."

For those of you that recommended keeping my license I really considered that but in the end decided that it was best to not die with my boots on. (thank you Jim Morrison). I'm not retiring as much as I'm volunteering.

My wife has been a volunteer at our local hospital for years. She asked if I could help out so the hospital has a new "team". I'll be the one emptying bed pans.

I've worked with Habitat for Humanity for several years inspecting the houses that they are considering for rehab and also as a member of the Family Selection Committee. They can always use an extra hand.

Finally, my 13 month old grand daughter and I have a standing date every week to get ice cream at the local Tastee Freeze. I'd like to expand the time we spend together.

Actually, when I get this damnable cast of my leg I may be busier than I was when I was inspecting full time.

Randy should we pass on the street, you won't miss me, I'm the one with the cast on his left leg and the smile on his face.

Thank you all, each of you have made being a professional home inspector one of the highlights of my life.

Be safe!

Jeff Beck