Done Your Christmas Shopping Yet?

Speaking of Christmas shopping - has anyone ever purchased something from overstock.com? They seem to have the best prices for Movado watches - something the bride would appreciate in her stocking.

Douglas Hansen

I have made a number of purchases from them over the last 4 or 5 years...everything from bathroom vessel sinks to electric blankets...and a watch. I had an issue with one item missing a part and they took care of it very promptly. So, in my experience, good company with good prices.

For those of you of Celtic ancestry who still need to find that unique gift, the Radio Celt store is having a Christmas sale right now. You can check it out here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Where's the Welsh stuff? It seems they don't recognize that the Welsh have retained their Celtic heritage more than the Irish or Scots.

Speaking of Christmas shopping - has anyone ever purchased something from overstock.com? They seem to have the best prices for Movado watches - something the bride would appreciate in her stocking.

Douglas Hansen

Do they stock your new/revised electrical inspection book? You know, the one that was supposed to be released this past August . . .

Speaking of Christmas shopping. I need a bit of help. My wife lost an earring from a jewelery set made out of aluminum bar stock. Does anyone have a lathe that can bore a small perfectly centered hole in say a piece of 3/16 aluminum dowel?

I've found glass pieces for that portion of the earring but have has no luck making a workable jig in my drill press.

Speaking of Christmas shopping. I need a bit of help. My wife lost an earring from a jewelery set made out of aluminum bar stock. Does anyone have a lathe that can bore a small perfectly centered hole in say a piece of 3/16 aluminum dowel?

I've found glass pieces for that portion of the earring but have has no luck making a workable jig in my drill press.

Hi,

Go here to the business directory. I used to be a member. Lots of these guys have incredibly precise miniature machining equipment.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've got a JET 1620 lathe, be happy to help you out. Might give me a reason to buy a set a chuck jaws. [:-eyebrow

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with overstock.com turned into a nightmare. Som much for trying to "save" a couple hundred dollars with this outfit.

I purchased the Movado watch, and it was a factory reject. There is a piece of loose metal UNDER the crystal. It can't be returned in time to replace it for Christmas, and the product shipped without a factory warranty. Movado says that overstock.com is not an authorized dealer. They are a reseller of defective products to unwitting bargain hunters. Next time I think about buying something from them, I think I will just take a half-dozen hundred dollar bills and light them on fire. It would be less frustrating.

Douglas Hansen

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the warning; I'd been considering checking out their online store. Did you try taking the watch to a local watchmaker to have the watch opened up and the piece of shaving removed? If that's all that's wrong with it, you might still make out of you have a competent watchmaker in your area.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It may not turn out as bad as I feared. They have promised to replace it before Christmas, and I'm hoping the next one they send will be OK.

I did find a local authorized Movado repair person. I could just drive to them (3-hour round trip) and pay to have it repaired. However, that isn't the pont. The factory warranty that is supposed to be inside the Movado box wasn't there. Movado says that is because Overstock is not an authorized dealer - meaning they bought it from someone else. In this particular case, it was obviously purchased from someone who had taken back flawed products and removed the warranty card. I thought I was buying a product that the manufacturer would stand behind, and it isn't possible with overstock.com.

Fry's Electronics is a similar place - they have lots of gray market resales that look at first as though they were factory originals. Sometimes they are great deals and work fine, and sometimes they are turkeys.

I am truly soured on on-line shopping. The one and only purchase I've made in my life from Wal-Mart was on line, and they sent a dead product that wasn't in the original factory packaging (it was taped up in a plastic shopping bag). The only way to return it would have been to take it to a store, and the nearest one is 30 miles away in a direction i never travel. Twice I've purchased from Amazon resellers and each time received defective unreturnable junk. Read the fine print- Amazon doesn't stand behind it or in some cases even provide the contact information for the actual retailer.

Douglas Hansen

I've had great luck with online shopping Douglas - and that's after hundreds of purchases.

I did get burnt once though. I was in the market for a Nikon D-70 and was all over the net trying to find the best deal. I finally settled on a company. The package should have been a Nikon D-70s with two Nikkor lens. It came shipped with the D-70s and two Sigma lens. I called the company and the person that answered the phone was a real snot. Told me to send the lens back and they would send the Nikkor lens. I never sent them back for the obvious reason.

I went to register my Nikon online and was refused because it was a grey-market item.

If it sounds to good to be true....