Fenix TK15

John Dirks Jr

I have a StreamLight Strion, which put all my bulky 1 - 1.5 Mil candle lights out to pasture. It's extremely expensive for something that rests in the palm of your hand, but is astoundingly bright. Are these TKs even brighter? Less expensive?

I have a Strion that once served as a backup for an Ultrastinger. The difference between a Fenix and a Strion is pretty much akin to the difference between a Ferrari and a Prius.

OK, I'm thick... and the Ferrari being the Fenix?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a StreamLight Strion, which put all my bulky 1 - 1.5 Mil candle lights out to pasture. It's extremely expensive for something that rests in the palm of your hand, but is astoundingly bright. Are these TKs even brighter? Less expensive?

I have a Strion that once served as a backup for an Ultrastinger. The difference between a Fenix and a Strion is pretty much akin to the difference between a Ferrari and a Prius.

OK, I'm thick... and the Ferrari being the:

Ferrari=Fenix

This may be an anomaly or maybe not. The other day I charged up the battery for the TK 15. When I put it back into the flashlight it would not turn on. I switched batteries and played around with it for a while and it eventually started working again. I have no idea why it did this. It's working good now.

With that aside, another plus of the 15 is that it looks so much like the 11 that the wife can't tell the difference. I have no need to explain why I needed to spend another $80 on another stupid flashlight. Having it shipped during the Xmas period was a perfect excuse to tell her not to mind what was in the box.

Aint I sneaky?

I dropped my 1 year old TK11 off the roof a couple of weeks back. The thing wouldn't turn on, so I bought a TK15. I really like the TK15, it's a great product. I was just getting ready to throw the TK11 away when I switched batteries (18650 rechargeable) to test it again - just for the heck of it. It turns out that the flashlight survived the fall but the battery did not. I didn't know the battery could fail from a fall! Now I have a backup TK11 for my awesome TK15.

I got my TK45 last night. After reading all the hype I was a little disappointed that it didn't have kick back when I turned it on. Don't get me wrong, this thing throws a lot of light and it swallows the beam from my Ultra Stinger like black swallows blue.

The stats says it throws 600 ft but I'd say 400 and truly useful light at about 200. Here's the thing though- it's an awesome flood light. At twelve feet it lights up a wall and the ceiling above it in a wash of white/ blue light that makes things stand out like sharpening a digital picture. It creates an almost surreal definition between contrasting colors and without a central hot spot.

No perceptible shadows created by the dorky looking three heads that make it look like part of a Star Wars Halloween costume- just a perfectly round, crisply defined area of illumination. 8 AA cells make the power- I'll see how long they last. The three heads, do however, create resting spots to lay the flashlight on its side and on most grades it won't roll.

The tube is nicely made with tight fitting O-rings at each connection. The connections have square cut threads which make starTing the caps easier and the threads longer wearing.

I'm concerned about the durability of a microprocessor in my flashlight

It comes in a Tupperware like container that has snap closures and room for the included lanyard and ring.

It's expensive, I'm a tad embarrassed at the price but it throws more light than my gazillion power power suit-cased size 11 lb light- Everyone says it's 'headlight' bright- I'll qualify that by saying new car headlight bright.

I got my TK45 last night. After reading all the hype I was a little disappointed that it didn't have kick back when I turned it on. Don't get me wrong, this thing throws a lot of light and it swallows the beam from my Ultra Stinger like black swallows blue.

The stats says it throws 600 ft but I'd say 400 and truly useful light at about 200. Here's the thing though- it's an awesome flood light. At twelve feet it lights up a wall and the ceiling above it in a wash of white/ blue light that makes things stand out like sharpening a digital picture. It creates an almost surreal definition between contrasting colors and without a central hot spot.

No perceptible shadows created by the dorky looking three heads that make it look like part of a Star Wars Halloween costume- just a perfectly round, crisply defined area of illumination. 8 AA cells make the power- I'll see how long they last. The three heads, do however, create resting spots to lay the flashlight on its side and on most grades it won't roll.

The tube is nicely made with tight fitting O-rings at each connection. The connections have square cut threads which make starTing the caps easier and the threads longer wearing.

I'm concerned about the durability of a microprocessor in my flashlight

It comes in a Tupperware like container that has snap closures and room for the included lanyard and ring.

It's expensive, I'm a tad embarrassed at the price but it throws more light than my gazillion power power suit-cased size 11 lb light- Everyone says it's 'headlight' bright- I'll qualify that by saying new car headlight bright.

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely sensual about Chad's description of his flashlight?

Is it just me, or is there something vaguely sensual about Chad's description of his flashlight?

It should sound sensual, I wasn't wearing anything but vaseline and a beret when I wrote it.

It's quite gratifying to know that there are people in the world who are more bizarre than I. Chad, you hearten me and instill hope that I'm not as far gone as others tell me I am.

It should sound sensual, I wasn't wearing anything but vaseline and a beret when I wrote it.

Hmm,

Were any of those sheep you sheared on here a few years ago in the vicinity?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Friggin beautiful! This guy was one of my instructors. Shit! It all makes sense now. The sheep, the Blueberries,...

Friggin beautiful! This guy was one of my instructors. Shit! It all makes sense now. The sheep, the Blueberries,...

Ah, yes. Ben Wa blueberries. Not for the timid.

That did it.

I just gave the last two Blueberry Poptarts to the dog.

That did it.

I just gave the last two Blueberry Poptarts to the dog.

That just sounds like I sould check urban dictionary for a definition.

Carry/Chad - I'd be interested in hearing about the battery life. 8 AA is a lot of batteries. You can use rechargeable but I've never had much luck with them (power lasting for very long between charges).

Battery life has been great so far. I got the flashlight in mid December and 1 set of fully charged batteries (Powerex 2700 mAh) lasted through the month. Granted it was a slow and partial month, but still much better battery life than I expected.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, I have the UltraStinger LED and if anything its too bright (cant really use it looking into panels easily)... Its never run out of charge on even two jobs in a day and recharges in no time. I really like the Fenix lights because of their size and the brightness is pretty much the same (I have compared the two). What I dont get about them is 1: what batteries do you guys use (re-chargeable or not), and do you charge them every day? 2: where do you put it during your inspections? (pocket, small goofy holster?)... I love my stinger (the LED ones are way better than the old ones). I hang it off my tool belt cause thats what I'm used to. I am always open to new gear, especially when it comes to down sizing, I just dont understand how you guys haul them around. I want to get one (the tk11 or whatever) to use as a backup and for crawlspaces. I actually read a post on this site a while back about a generic version of the tk11, bought it for 25 bucks and it never worked. So, I still have all the batteries (regular and rechargable) but never used them... Shed some light on me guys...

I dunno, I have the UltraStinger LED and if anything its too bright (cant really use it looking into panels easily)... Its never run out of charge on even two jobs in a day and recharges in no time. I really like the Fenix lights because of their size and the brightness is pretty much the same (I have compared the two). What I dont get about them is 1: what batteries do you guys use (re-chargeable or not), and do you charge them every day? 2: where do you put it during your inspections? (pocket, small goofy holster?)... I love my stinger (the LED ones are way better than the old ones). I hang it off my tool belt cause thats what I'm used to. I am always open to new gear, especially when it comes to down sizing, I just dont understand how you guys haul them around. I want to get one (the tk11 or whatever) to use as a backup and for crawlspaces. I actually read a post on this site a while back about a generic version of the tk11, bought it for 25 bucks and it never worked. So, I still have all the batteries (regular and rechargable) but never used them... Shed some light on me guys...

I carry mine in a cell phone pouch; found one at Walmart that fits like a glove, and has a nice velcro strap and belt loop.

FYI...the TK15 has four brightness modes. I kept it on high the first dozen times I used it, but realized the battery life wasn't good at all that way (I use the rechargeables). Now I keep it on the third highest setting, and that means I only have to charge every fifth or sixth inspection. Can always switch to high bright if needed.

Someone asked how the batteries last in the TK45. It holds 8 AA's.

The answer to that is- it depends. I got 3 (easy small house) inspections out of the first set, but they were lithiums and and I used the light on the high setting for about 1/2 the time. The first level is equivalent to a candle or two. the second level is as bright as a $6.99 LED flashlight, the third level is about the same as my Steamlight Ultra and the 4th level is pretty darn illuminating.

Anyway, the lithiums ran the light for about 5 hours total. I refilled with no-name alkalines that cost 1/4 as much as the lithiums and they run the light for at least two inspections. I use high when I need it but often find the next lower setting more usable. High is really nice for crawls and attics, but it's more than necessary for any area with ambient light.

So, I guess I'm getting between 3 and 4 hours of light from $2.40 worth of batteries. I'm OK with that.