Tipping the Home Inspector

My dad was a custom builder. Every once in a while, if he brought a house in ahead of schedule or had added some neat detail, a customer would tack a couple of grand extra onto the final check. He didn't ask for any tips, but I don't think any of the folks that gave him the bonus thought he hadn't earned one.

I don't ask for tips; but occasionally a grateful client will write the check for more than I'd charged. For employees of certain companies that have very large work forces here, I give an automatic discount and waive the distance surcharge. Over the past couple of years probably about two dozen of those clients have written the check for my standard fee before discounts. When I'd realized it and protested, they simply said that what they'd learned during the inspection was worth far more to them than what they'd paid me.

Some folks show their appreciation that way. If it makes you uncomfortable, pay it forward the next time you get a service of some sort.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I have occasionally had people write a check for an additional $20 or so. Generally doesn't happen more than once a year or so. However, several years ago I did an inspection of a very modest house (with a lot of issues) for a rather elderly gentleman. He also was decidedly modest in terms of clothing choice and vehicle. By all appearances, he wasn't sitting on a big pile of cash. (Then again, sometimes those folks HAVE the cash since they haven't spend it foolishly.)

About a week after the inspection, I received a very nice thank you note in the mail from him with a check enclosed for $100. Didn't make me feel bad whatsoever… In fact, it was a pretty good day in my book. I wondered at the time whether he'd mailed the check rather than trying to give it to me on-site for fear that I would refuse to accept it or somehow be uncomfortable.

One more point regarding this subject...

Many of us complain how we want to be perceived as professionals yet we then compare the tips (even if they are rare) that we get with tipping waiters and taxi drivers.

Has anyone ever tipped their doctor, lawyer, or accountant? Some politicians take tips but that is a whole different subject-LOL.

Most of us charge a decent fee for our professional services. We work hard to become licensed, maintain our education credits, and pay for professional liability insurance. I think we all need to work harder on changing the public perception of our work so that we are also seen as professionals.

One more point regarding this subject...

Many of us complain how we want to be perceived as professionals yet we then compare the tips (even if they are rare) that we get with tipping waiters and taxi drivers.

Has anyone ever tipped their doctor, lawyer, or accountant? Some politicians take tips but that is a whole different subject-LOL.

Most of us charge a decent fee for our professional services. We work hard to become licensed, maintain our education credits, and pay for professional liability insurance. I think we all need to work harder on changing the public perception of our work so that we are also seen as professionals.

I'd have to say that those folks that have tipped us were tipping a pro. What else can one draw from it?

Yes. Thank you.

I've gotten a few tips; I try to dissuade folks but the one's that want to tip, want to tip. I let them.

I have several iron clad rules of business......one is.......if someone really, really wants to give me money, I let them give me money.

I did a +/-500 sf condo (with electric heat) a few months back for a client I've worked for before. He is a big-time CPA, was under the gun for time and needed it on a Sunday. I couldn't tell you the last time I worked on a Sunday (it was probably the late 1990's), but he needed it, work is slow, so I did it without blinking. I charged him $500. At the end of the inspection (under 2 hours), he handed me a check for the full amount and a hundred dollar bill, which I very humbly and graciously accepted. Was that unprofessional? If so, then I'm going to need someone to define the word 'professional' to me.

That was the biggest tip I can recall. Back when I used to work for about 60% of what I get now, tips much more common. These days I get one or two a year. The conclusion I drew from that was: if you're getting tipped regularly, it is a sign that you are probably undercharging.

I have had a few tips over the years, some were cash and some were in liquid form! If folks are so happy with my service who am I to burst their bubble!

This past Christmas I had a nice couple give me three nice bottles of wine and several types of cheese in a basket that they had shipped to my home! I guess this was about the only time I found a benifit with listing my home/office address over my PO Box on the report!

As for bovine tipping? I do not recommend Santa Gertrudis or Holstein breeds!

I've had less than a half dozen tips in 14 years. Always a surprise because I don't expect it. Every time though it is a really nice feeling and heck, I wish it happened more often.

I too have recieved a few beer cases and once one of those Omaha dry ice packages with all kinds of good stuff in it. That was like Christmas.

I too am a 20% tipper. Those folks really work hard in most cases.

I don't recall ever receiving a tip from a native Pennsylvanian. I used to be offered tips a few times a year by NJ or NY residents moving into the Lehigh Valley, but that influx stopped a few years ago. I'd always declined while expressing my appreciation, but if they insisted, I'd take it.

Steven's point about tipping professionals is timely for me. This past week has been hell for me. A month of minor vague tooth pain that the dentist couldn't pinpoint turned into sudden excruciating pain that lasted from a few minutes to about an hour. Midweek, the pain stopped and my jaw swelled to grotesque proportions. It was then clear that I had an infected tooth.

My experience with the Endodontist that was supposed to do the root canal yesterday was nothing short of amazing. He was a calm, grandfatherly, Marcus Welby-like guy. I won't go into detail but after he eventually found a crack in the tooth, he pulled up a chair next to me and spent over 15 minutes explaining the implications and ramifications. It was almost like he was talking to a member of his family. That was by far the best experience I've ever had with a medical professional. I really felt like giving the guy a tip for greatly exceeding my expectations. I didn't, because he is a professional, but I am going to send a nice thank you note.

I feel the same way with my work. Getting a complimentary email after the inspection means more to me than a twenty dollar bill stuffed into my shirt pocket.

These are the kinda tips I enjoy:

================================

I think the current owners are a little angry about the thorough inspection you did. They didn't have one done and it cost them $18K.

I, my loan officer and my agent think a home inspection is well worth what I paid.

================================

Thank you very much for such a detailed report. I had no idea that when we asked you to conduct our home inspection that you would provide so much information. I appreciate the check list for home maintenance. This is particularly helpful because we have never owned a home prior to our townhome. I will keep the list handy and refer to it often so that we can take good care of our property. Thank you again for the education and inspection.

=================================

Though I haven't turned down the cash tips either.

I just remembered another tip from 8 years back. I did an inspection for a guy whose PR firm (I later found out) had killer seats at Fenway Park. I must have mentioned something about my sons during the inspection, because a week or two after the inspection, he shocked me by snailmailing me tickets to a Sox game; my sons' first professional baseball game. More than a tip, it was a gift. A gift that cost me $50 worth of hot dogs, dropped ice cream sandwiches, and watered-down soda, but a gift nonetheless.

I think tipping HI's amounts to a sincere gesture of appreciation when someone goes above & beyond. None of us ever expect it and I hope we all graciously accept them.

I can't understand the mind that tries to make something more of it than that.