taking up subfloor

I'm trying to imagine laying the backer in a T pattern or herringbone pattern and my brain tells me either method would yield a lot of seams.

Just so we're clear, Tom said herringbone. I'm a T pattern user.

Yielding a lot of short seams makes more sense to me than having long continuous seams down the middle of a floor.

To me, it's no different than how you would stagger the plywood under it.

I've also never had any problem with any floor I've put down.

When you get right down to it, there isn't that much of a difference in the total length of the seams. Just the number of them. I've also never worked on a floor I didn't have to make cuts for. It's added insurance, to stagger it.

Looks like that's how they want it too.

http://www.holdenhumphrey.com/jh/hardibackerinstall.htm

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I got the tape standing by. I was going to do it but I went back and read the instructions and interpreted that they want you to fill and tape the seams as you lay the tile. . .

I must admit that I've never done it that way but it seems like you'd be scraping up the tape every time you drew the notched trowel over it. Once you start laying the tile, you really want to be thinking only about laying the tile. But maybe you're a better multitasker than I am.

After striking the first wet taped joint with the notched trowel it caused the tape to pull up like you imagined it might Jim. I abandoned that method and did all the tape first and let it set up a bit before resuming laying tile.

Progress continues:

I didn't ditch that friggin spade shovel untill about 3/4 the way through the job. I wish I'd done it earlier. Stole the wifes little flower digging hand spade after a while.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141285_P1130177.jpg

44.8 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011412850_P1130179.jpg

35.8 KB

In my younger days I did alot of body work on cars with bondo and stuff. That skill set helped me in the application of the thinset.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121123_P1130184.jpg

44.72 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121152_P1130187.jpg

48.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121217_P1130188.jpg

55.15 KB

Here's some of the finished angles (excluding grout).

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121430_P1130189.jpg

49.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121457_P1130190.jpg

34.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121534_P1130197.jpg

45.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011412160_P1130198.jpg

55.22 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114121645_P1130199.jpg

51.08 KB

I need to come up with a plan for the trim transition between the different floor heights of the kitchen and dining room. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have.

My first design is to delete the quarter round from the end of the walls and kitchen walls. I would rip and the baseboard trim of the kitchen and notch the end wall baseboard trim to compemsate for the tile and hardie backer thickness. The ripped ends in the kitchen end at cabinets on each side so the difference there does not matter. In the dining room side, I would slice a bevel in the existing quarter round to eliminate the difference of the deleted quarter round at the end sides of the walls. The pictures that follow are just examples of the cut end and do not depict the final colors or full trim fits when completed.

Here are the ripped kitchen side baseboard and notched end wall baseboard trim.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114122648_P1130208.jpg

50.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011412277_P1130209.jpg

49.76 KB

On the dining room side, here is how I would trim the quarter round. Again, colors not relavant in the photo.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114122822_P1130210.jpg

38.21 KB

I also need to pck up a nice piece of beveled oak for the transition between dining room hardwood and kitchen tile.

John, you should be able to find some pre-made transitions that you could modify, even if you don't have a good specialty lumber yard close by. Here's one at Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=4702

It's 3/8" thick, which looks about right(?). No harm having it slightly higher than the tile as long as you ease the corner. I would rip the grooved part off, slightly round the resulting corner and then just nail it flush with the tile. If you don't have a good straight edge across the tiles, and that would leave a gap, then you could hold it back the width of your grout lines and grout or color-match caulk the gap (pre-finish the new edge).

Keeee-rist, aren't you done yet?!?

Get it in gear, Dirks.......this ain't a government project........

Not done yet. In reality, is one ever? In my house, every detail is exhaustively debated (to put it kindly). That takes time my brother.

With additional time being consumed waiting for the different applications of materials to set up before proceeding to the next, I should find a way to hold the debates during wait time.

Yeah...it's taking longer than I thought it would, thats for sure. Interference on the part of others and dawdling on my part is the reason.

That's not 1/4 round, it's base shoe. (It's taller than 1/4 round.)

Instead of beveling it like that, make it return down, into the floor. It's a cleaner look.

Base shoe....got it.

Can you show a picture of what you mean as an example?

No, I don't have one handy. Think of the upper right corner of a picture frame. The base shoe runs horizontally, and makes a 90-degree turn down.

The grout is drying significantly lighter in color shade than advertised. Does the final sealing process give it a wet look more permanently?

The color when wet matched the advertised color.

What can we to to darken the appearance of the grout?

What brand of sealer should we use?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142152639_P1130222.jpg

44.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142152653_P1130223.jpg

51.76 KB

John,

Did not read all posts, may have this already.

Toe kick saw 3 3/8, go to Harborfreight.com and look at Item # 94626

SawsAll with long blade is a hard way to go.

Saw that you are going with 3/4 ply. Two 3/8 unless you glue them together are not the same.

Make sure that you bed cement board to plywood and then screw board, nailing is not as good unless you are going to take it all up in a few years.

The grout is drying significantly lighter in color shade than advertised. Does the final sealing process give it a wet look more permanently?

Yeah, it sometimes dries lighter than the sample. I don't know why. Were you using any admix? Latex, epoxy, or anything like that?

I've always used the Miracle line of sealants. They don't darken the grout at all. I've heard about other ones that do, but I don't know anything about them.

Honestly, if the color really bothers you, I'd suggest raking it out now, before it gets a chance to really harden up.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yeah, it sometimes dries lighter than the sample. I don't know why. Were you using any admix? Latex, epoxy, or anything like that?

I've always used the Miracle line of sealants. They don't darken the grout at all. I've heard about other ones that do, but I don't know anything about them.

Honestly, if the color really bothers you, I'd suggest raking it out now, before it gets a chance to really harden up.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I didn't use any additives. I just mixed with water per the instructions on the bag. It was not too wet but more of a drier tighter mix.

As it dries more, the color is getting more uniform, but still way lighter than we expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Grout color was solved by a coloring dye made by the grout manufacturer. On the web there were many people complaining about this particular color of grout not turning out right. They have 50+ grout colors and only about 10 grout coloring dyes. Go figure the color we chose has a dye made for it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141522634_P1130390.jpg

41.49 KB

Before coloring

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141522652_P1130381.jpg

42.84 KB

After coloring

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114152277_P1130380.jpg

38.92 KB

Forget the grout color. Sealing doesn't do anything to maintain color. The color is going to change from whatever it is now, to that tinged with grey and brown grease and dirt.

It's a kitchen floor. In a year, you won't even remember what color the grout was supposed to be.