Do you mention popcorn texture?

Yeah,

I tell them to simply assume that it contains asbestos; but that as long as it's kept encapsulated under latex paint it shouldn't be an issue. I ask 'em if they'll be taking it down. If they answer in the affirmative, I tell 'em to make sure that when they do that they have it done by a pro or take appropriate precautions not to breath dust from the stuff or allow it to spread to other parts of the house.

The overwhelming majority of folks don't get freaked out by it; however, I remember one lady about twelve years ago, or maybe it was longer than that, who feinted. As soon as I mentioned that she should assume that it contained asbestos, she started holding her breath. Instead of leaving the room, she decided to hang around and hear my entire spiel. Well, you all know how long-winded I can be....kerplunk! Uh oh! After she was revived and I pointed out to her that holding her breath wouldn't have helped anyway 'cuz she'd been breathing asbestos her entire life she calmed down,....sort of.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

All the time. Most folks don't care, some do.

USG made a lot of popcorn texture, and we know they put asbestos fiber in a lot of their products.

My comment is pretty simple....."The ceiling texture @ the ..........could contain asbestos fiber; have it tested for asbestos content and then remove or encapsulate it on the best advice of the contractor."

Or, something like that.

I mention it all the time--simple autotext entry.

I was on site when an environmental scientist was taking samples of the acoustic ceiling to have it tested at his lab. He stated there's an 80% chance that acoustical ceilings in our region contain asbestos. I don't have reason to doubt him so I use those numbers in the report.

I have read somewhere that homes up until around 1987 could have the asbestos tainted popcorn. I believe the actual manufacture of the product was banned late 70's but still applied through mid 80's until the product ran out. I will have to remember where I read that.

The EPA claims that the use of textured finishes was banned in 1977, but this is incorrect. The manufacture of textured finishes containing asbestos was prohibited starting in 1978. There have been popcorn (acoustic, cottage cheese) ceiling finishes that have tested positive for asbestos fibers into the early 1980s.

I have read somewhere that homes up until around 1987 could have the asbestos tainted popcorn. I believe the actual manufacture of the product was banned late 70's but still applied through mid 80's until the product ran out. I will have to remember where I read that.

The EPA claims that the use of textured finishes was banned in 1977, but this is incorrect. The manufacture of textured finishes containing asbestos was prohibited starting in 1978. There have been popcorn (acoustic, cottage cheese) ceiling finishes that have tested positive for asbestos fibers into the early 1980s.

Same as lead paint - I can remember that.

Same as lead paint - I can remember that.

Lead gives you heavy blood. It's the Aluminum in the cookpots you forgot about it. [:)]

For the older homes, I put an info sheet in the report - Possible sources of asbestos. I rarely mention the popcorn ceilings unless they are flaking. Asbestos tape on furnace ducts, I will comment on that stuff if it's obviously loose and flapping.

Vermiculite insulation - you bet. That stuff can affect you big time financially, just from public perception.

Here's my boiler plate:

Informational- There are "popcorn" acoustic textured ceilings visible at . Asbestos may be present in the ceiling covering material. While asbestos production was banned in 1978, suppliers and contractors were allowed to use up existing supplies and asbestos containing materials were continued to be installed well into the 1980's.

The only way to determine if there is asbestos in the ceiling coverings is to take a physical sample and have it tested by a qualified testing laboratory. Testing for the presence of asbestos containing materials is not within the scope of a home inspection.

"Popcorn" acoustic texture material is generally removed for cosmetic reasons rather than due to health concerns. Material that is in good condition and is not loose or deteriorated generally does not present a health hazard. If "popcorn" ceiling material is to be removed, testing for asbestos should be performed prior to the start of any work. If laboratory testing reveals the presence of asbestos, a licensed asbestos contractor should be hired to properly remove and dispose of the material to prevent the contamination of the home with asbestos fibers.

Jim

I think you have to look at drywall compounds; all purpose, taping, finishing, etc and learn when they contained asbestos. Popcorn ceilings are just an easy comment: They may have asbestos materials. Is the asbestos the popcorn or the compound?

We don't write them. Too many things to write about in typical house. Prioritize.