Sign in to follow this  
Tom Corrigan

Definition of foundation?

I'm on a zoning commission that is formulating new zoning regulations for our town. We feel that we have a need to define the word "foundation". To my surprise, there is no definition of foundation in the entire I Code series.

Does anyone know of a reputable source for a definition of foundation as it applies to buildings?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Corrigan

Illustrated Dictionary of Building Materials and Techniques, Paul Bianchina, ISBN 0-471-57656-5

The load bearing structure of a building, usually concrete or concrete blocks, that rests on the ground and upon which the building is erected; commonly both the footings and the foundation walls.

Marc

Thanks guys. I've seen those two. I was hoping for something from one of the other building codes. It's the old "authoritative source of information" thing.

Anyone got something from a code?

Tom Corrigan

While you're at it Chad; when (at what height) does a crawlspace no longer be a crawl but becomes as basement?

I typically term that gray area between a crawlspace and a basement as a cellar.

(I always explain, partially in jest, that the real foundation of any home is actually and ultimately the earth...)

A crawlspace is a basement, just a really, really short basement.....most of the time - I've had some that were 20 feet high but, because they were unfinished with dirt floors were still called crawlspaces. Go figure.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It seems that most cellars don't have a concrete slab floor - just dirt. But, then of course, there's the classic cellar, which is merely a place to throw the boiler, water heater and laundry tub, which does have a concrete slab floor and looks and feels more like a bomb shelter. [:-graduat