New Project

It is with mixed feeling that I tell you guys I took a job I as a Construction Superintendent on a 'Charter' school in lovely downtown Newark.

I will still be conducting HI's on the weekends (until I drop), but I figured I'd post weekly pictures here to show our progress.

We just started footing about 2 weeks ago.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142064512_000_0007.jpg

51.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142064639_000_0005.jpg

119.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142064819_100_0003.jpg

76.88 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114206497_100_0004.jpg

106.93 KB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the pain in your post but I'm thankful your family is provided for. A man does what he has to. There is honor is that.

Those footing are wide! Is that typical? How many stories in the building and what is your soil classification? Here in the clay ridden south they are typically about 3 feet wide.

The coolest place to be, after this gig, is on a big construction site. I always enjoy my "consulting" gigs; there's something about big projects that pump me up.

It speaks to your competency level that you got the gig that, most likely, a lot of folks were trying to land. Congratulations. I mean that.

I'm not going anywhere; I don't think anyone else is either. So, we expect you to keep coming here, telling us what's going on, and educating us about your project.

The reference to facebook is the founder of facebook gave the city of Newark something like half a billion dollars for it's education system.

Charlie; the building is four storys; 64,000 sq ft not including the gym. The site is basically all fill; most of it unsuitable. Just today one of the piers had to be over-excavated by 2 1/2 feet and filled with clean stone. The 'good' material does contain clay.

Bill; No, here in NJ, they don't bury bodies in the footing, they bury them in the ground UNDER the footings. They found that bodies in the concrete don't decompose as quickly as in the soil.

Yes, I was thinking that dirt would make a better garden than a building site.

If a few more of the world's 500 Billionaires put some cash into the economy, we could all dig our way out of the hole a bit.

Anyway, it is good to see some building going on down your way. Good luck with the 9 to 5. And the weekend inspections. That could become the trend.

Facebook donated about 100 million I think, he did it on Oprah.

Hmmm,

I wonder how he'd feel about helping to get the first college of Building Science, Home Inspection and Green Technologies in the country started?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

[:-thumbu]

Darren, I worked on the masonry of probably eight schools and two prisons over the years. As Kurt said, big projects are definitely cool - typically complicated work, with a lot of trades all doing their thing at the same time, once things get into high gear. We were always having to install all of our work around the electrician's boxes and conduit, and plumbing. Often steel workers were hopping the metal bar joists overhead to weld the roof decking into place. And, it was always nice to know you were going to be working in one place for close to a year.

Congrats on that position. I'll look forward to watching the progress and enjoying the memories myself.

Darren, I've been in business in south Jersey for about five-years now…I know how you feel.

I've also had a one of my better winters in history as far as business is concerned and would think it would be picking up in north Jersey as well.

I've said from the beginning, this would be a great part-time job!

Good luck.

Here's a retaining wall footing (with storage rooms on the exterior side.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202642_Foot1.jpg

85.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202723_Foot2.jpg

100.02 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202746_Foot3.jpg

81.75 KB

Here's a section of the retaining wall the gym columns will be sitting on.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202832_Wall1.jpg

86.09 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202856_Wall2.jpg

84.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011429202922_Wall3.jpg

73.48 KB

This wall is on the other side of the building/block from the previous pictures. It took them 3 1/2 days from excavation to pour.

Jim;

The footing for the wall took 67 yards; about 40 of them were poured from the trucks at the street.

The wall pour took 30 yards. Getting a pump for so little yardage wasn't worth the cost.

As far as reflective vests; since most of the guys are in the trenches or on the wall, I guess there not needed.

We had our '3rd party' safety inspection on Tuesday and nothing was said about the vests.

I have the plumber coming in late next week to start the underground and steel is scheduled for late May or early June, depending on fabrication. The shop drawing are late going back and forth.

I DO NOT miss any part of that shit.

In the hole by 7 soaked from sweat by 7:20. Slipping in the mud, smashing my hands, getting hit by a couple of stray rocks that managed to hang in the bucket until it flew over me. Where's my spud wrench?

Great pics. I can smell the dirt from here.

I DO NOT miss any part of that shit.

In the hole by 7 soaked from sweat by 7:20. Slipping in the mud, smashing my hands, getting hit by a couple of stray rocks that managed to hang in the bucket until it flew over me. Where's my spud wrench?

Great pics. I can smell the dirt from here.

Yes, to this day I've got a lovely gash (scar) in my calf, that should have been stitched and wasn't, from rebar. We had a guy pinned against a form one time when a bank slightly taller caved in on him. We were digging our asses off at light speed. He was OK, but it was pretty scary.

Jim;

The footing for the wall took 67 yards; about 40 of them were poured from the trucks at the street.

The wall pour took 30 yards. Getting a pump for so little yardage wasn't worth the cost.

As far as reflective vests; since most of the guys are in the trenches or on the wall, I guess there not needed.

We had our '3rd party' safety inspection on Tuesday and nothing was said about the vests.

I have the plumber coming in late next week to start the underground and steel is scheduled for late May or early June, depending on fabrication. The shop drawing are late going back and forth.

All union trades or a mixed batch?