300 years ago

Hello Bill. Is there a vaulted ceiling in the main hall? Sorry, can't think of the church term for the main room. The roof has a pretty good sway to it. Are the walls bowed out at all?

You got it! Here's the hand-forged nuts on the ends of the 3 tie-rods:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143075639_P1120731.jpg

59.3 KB

The rods were installed in the mid 1800s.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011430809_100_9355.jpg

25.85 KB

Most old churches, unless there are flying buttresses, have leaning, sweeping or bulging walls.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114308149_dutchchurch.jpg

69.66 KB

Bill:

Did they ever come up with a permanent fix for the Old Dutch Church? I first saw that temporary brace in 2004. I went back in 2006 to see what permanent solution they came up with, only to find that not a thing had changed. Maybe it's still that way.

I've got to think the people whose ancestors are buried in the graves that are anchoring the buttress beams aren't too happy about it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201151102041_101-0116_IMG.jpg

62.73 KB

Well,

I should imagine that lying there for eternity with those big heavy footers bearing down on top of you, when you don't even have enough room to roll over onto your side has to be pretty uncomfortable for the folks sleeping below.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well,

I should imagine that lying there for eternity with those big heavy footers bearing down on top of you, when you don't even have enough room to roll over onto your side has to be pretty uncomfortable for the folks sleeping below.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yeah, but on the other hand, those folks are still supporting their church.

Well,

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

But, what better way to uphold the church? [:-tophat]

Bill, what would be the difference between a bulging and sweeping wall? Sounds like a good inspection term I never heard of before.

Bulging is a term used for a wall that is bowed from top to bottom. This would be most obvious when looking along the wall.

Sweeping is a term used for bowing from corner to corner. This would be most visible when standing on the edge of the roof looking down the wall

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011520365_bulge_sweep.jpg

13.16 KB

Shortly after I turned 40, my abdomen has had some bulging and sweeping. I don't think installing tie-rods will fix it.

Bill:

Did they ever come up with a permanent fix for the Old Dutch Church? I first saw that temporary brace in 2004. I went back in 2006 to see what permanent solution they came up with, only to find that not a thing had changed. Maybe it's still that way.

The design and bid selection has been completed. Late in 2010, I heard that the federal grant money was to be released in early 2011. There was also some fund raising to be continued to fill the gap not covered by the grant. The expense is for repairs and neglected maintenance that goes beyond just reinforcing the wall.