Paging Mr. Kibble

Tuesday, I'm inspecting an 1860 bank barn which was converted to a residence in 1974. I'm concerned about insect damage/rot in the floor structure and I'm not sure what I should say about it.

The floor planks and support structure were used with no apparent modifications or repairs when it was converted, other than a finish being applied. Walking around the main floor, there are many potential trip hazards due to unevenness. At least one of the timbers is mostly hollowed out, and some of the planks are pretty much gone above their supporting timbers. There's some give in these areas when walked on.

It seems to have been performing OK for the past 37 years, but I don't want to get a call someday informing me that the piano mover fell through the floor, and the piano landed on top of him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111030142640_1%20117.jpg

37.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011103014275_1%20119.jpg

36.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111030142732_1%20122.jpg

47.4 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011103014287_1%20128.jpg

46.63 KB

I think if that was in my area, I would be calling for repair to the wood before it gets worse, because it would get worse in my climate. Rot fungus never sleeps out here. I would suggest digging out all the rot and stopping it from spreading 'somehow'. But BK knows best for what you've got there.

kinda drift.......

Do folks out there use epoxy saturation? I've used it successfully on a succession of wood boats; seems it would work OK on a house....(?).

I think if that was in my area, I would be calling for repair to the wood before it gets worse, because it would get worse in my climate. Rot fungus never sleeps out here. I would suggest digging out all the rot and stopping it from spreading 'somehow'. But BK knows best for what you've got there.

kinda drift.......

Do folks out there use epoxy saturation? I've used it successfully on a succession of wood boats; seems it would work OK on a house....(?).

I've used it on houses many times. My favorites are the products made by Smith & Co. http://www.smithandcompany.org/

It would be perfect for that barn/house.

I was going to suggest using hardener but Kurt beat me to it.

I've used the Abatron stuff and thought it was pretty good. Have never tried the Smith and Company stuff. Not sure what would be the net effect of drilling a bunch of little holes in that wood in order to infuse hardener into it. Then you'd have to fill 'em, file 'em, sand 'em, paint 'em...

http://www.abatron.com

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Joe, Sorry to have not replied sooner. Mom passed away Thursday night, then Saturdays storm placed hundreds of trees in all/any roads leading to home. Power has finally been restored late this afternoon.

I don't see anything there that would benefit from an epoxy sealer, filler or consolidant. It needs repairs and the typical, traditional repair for hand-hewn timbers is what Mike O'. suggested, although lumberyards only have milled timbers. There's plenty of salvaged hewn timbers and hand-planed floor planks available in these parts.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, Bill. Please accept my condolences.

Because the power has been out, the inspection was rescheduled for today. The owner had moved out many months ago, but he stopped by at the beginning of the inspection. Turns out, he's a very well-known local architect, now in his 80's, and he designed the conversion. I can't imagine why he didn't take care of those issues at the start. To do it now would be a nightmare, not the least of the problems being matching the finishes.

Thanks for everybody's responses.