Everyone must be busy

I had two this week. I'm all a quiver. One was a two day job on a giant old rotting asbestos filled, lead piped, terne coted steel roofed assembly that was trying its best to reconfigure itself back into the dirt from whence it came. And even after I handed the guy 61 pages of discouraging and expensive information, he's still buying the place.

The other one was an expensive two year old home that had more issues than the 1882 Italianate. That buyer walked.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with two good inspections in the same week.

My phone is ringing with unusual regularity, but so far I've been able to accomodate all of 'em by working right through the weekends. Meanwhile the date my engaged step-daughter moves home to take over our old house trailer (I'm supposed to be remodeling) gets ever closer. What can I do, this ain't gonna last forever around here...I gotta get it while it can be got! [:-crazy]

Brian G.

Whar 'N Hell Wuz These Folks In January & Feburary, When I Needed 'Em? [:-irked]

If we can't Get 'er done" in five days, we won't work on Saturday or Sunday. Twenty plus years in this business, mostly as multi-inspector company and we have only lost one inspection appointment for a Sunday. Can't say that about Saturdays 'tho. We typically have a five day window. Have started lots of weeks off on Monday with 1-2 scheduled for the week and finished up with a respectable weeks work.

Overall this year is not a record breaker yet.

I'm normally too long, too descriptive and an average report is like 15, maybe 20 pages with photos taking up about half the room. This guy paid me extra to type for eight hours. A lot extra. He wanted a complete list of defects, not "all of the plumbing in this home should be replaced" for an extra 750 dollars I'll write your kid's term paper or list electrical defects ciruit by circuit.

Originally posted by gsozz

.....what secret do you guys know about marketing that I haven't discovered yet?

This isn't a secret, just the semi-embarrassing truth and an industry problem: A new inspectors best friend is a productive, ethical realtor. They're hard to find and even harder to win over if they already have a go-to guy, but they can really, really help.

Brian G.

Speaking From Experience [:-paperba

Amen to Brian's observation.

I have three ladies that tell me over and over that they appreciate how thorough I am because they end up feeling like their clients are friends. They all say we don't want a friend to find a problem after the dealing is all done. One lady in particular, I actually feel bad about cause I know I am a pain in her butt for all the stuff i find. She still refers her clients to me. I appreciate the referrals.

Patience, Perseverance and Personality. I think has helped me. The personality part, At least my Wife thinks I am the nicest guy around, I personally think I can be pretty grumpy.

Keep plugging away at it.

Buster.

Gsozz,

Don't quit yet! Just keep going it will start to build. I've done only 75 inspections in the last 2 1/2 years but It gives me a chance to learn and to get good systems in place before it gets too big. Spend all your extra time reading books and watching the experienced guys around here. They told me to keep my day job? That sucks.

Like Brian said I found a couple of good Realtors who would rather stay out of court and I've moved to a better market. I'm doing about 4 a week now but we'll see come January. Good Luck.

Thanks for the good words.

I just got another contract engineering (industrial design)day job in Houston, so it looks like I can remain in Houston for now and persue the inspections. Thanks to all for the encouragement. I know it takes a while, but my problem was that I had not seen much engineering work since 9/11 and was going broke fast. I still think there is a way to market that I have'nt thought of yet. I'll keep pluging.

If I could get up to 4 inspections a week I would not have to worry about a different day job.

gsozz

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Go to Amazon and order Building Your Home Inspection Business by Carson & Dunlop and How To Make Money In The Home Inspection Business by Stoeppelwerth. Pay attention to most of it and disregard anything that hints at becoming a toady.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Mike:

$134.95 for the Carson & Dunlop book, wow.

Have you read this one Mike?

Originally posted by gsozz

Thanks for the good words.

I just got another contract engineering (industrial design)day job in Houston, so it looks like I can remain in Houston for now and persue the inspections. Thanks to all for the encouragement. I know it takes a while, but my problem was that I had not seen much engineering work since 9/11 and was going broke fast. I still think there is a way to market that I have'nt thought of yet. I'll keep pluging.

If I could get up to 4 inspections a week I would not have to worry about a different day job.

gsozz

You need to separate yourself from the competition. Here's a few suggestions:

1. Attend a Realtor meeting of some sort and offer a free inspection of any NEW agent's home. Explain that you will educate them as to what the inspection process is all about. That way you "hook em" on the way you do an inspection, and they'll definitely think of you first when referring.

2. Market yourself as the "Last Minute" inspector. If an inspection is needed at the last minute, weekends, or late in the day, you're the man!

Hope this helps.