Unknown switch with LCD display

normw

I ran into this dimmer-looking switch for the second time, first time it's outside a bathroom of a 5 year old town house. I thought it was some kind of control for the bathroom fan, but didn't seem to be working. This time it's on a 3 year old high rise condo, inside a closet that facing front entrance door, still looked the same, still seemed not controlling anything.

Does anyone seen this before and know what is it for?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201242520651_DSCN5071.jpg

22.79 KB

Thanks everyone for pitching in, but I'm still not really sure, because in both cases, the switches were in interior rooms, far away from any exterior wall, and in the case of the high rise condo, it's on a 26th floor and not much is on the outside. And when I play with the switch, nothing happened, no display at all. Could both be faulty?

I find them from time to time and I ignore them! Kind of like trying to figure out a lawn irrigation system or some of those new thermostats that are on the market! Just a pain in the butt!

I do note them in my report and tell my client to get the owner to demonstrate their operation to them.

I find them from time to time and I ignore them! Kind of like trying to figure out a lawn irrigation system or some of those new thermostats that are on the market! Just a pain in the butt!

I do note them in my report and tell my client to get the owner to demonstrate their operation to them.

Agree with Scott, write it up as unknown, tell clients to ask owner the purpose, if bank owned call an electrician.

Agree with Scott, write it up as unknown, tell clients to ask owner the purpose, if bank owned call an electrician.

I got a note from a realtor last week. There was no electric baseboard heat, thermostat display was blank. It took 6 or 7 phone calls before the owners were able to install two AA batteries in the thermostat. The heat came on, and everybody could finally relax.

BTW, that timer switch also takes a couple of batteries, probably the little wafer jobs.

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like we have come to a consensus. Next time I see one of these, if it has no display and not respond to control, I'll open it up to check if it needs batteries. And then write it up as "possibly a timer switch for exhaust fan, ask owner for instructions."

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like we have come to a consensus. Next time I see one of these, if it has no display and not respond to control, I'll open it up to check if it needs batteries. And then write it up as "possibly a timer switch for exhaust fan, ask owner for instructions."

It isn't, "possibly a timer switch," it, "is," a timer switch. It might, "possibly," control an exhaust fan. There is a difference.