Bad window flashing

Erby

Ain't it scary to think whats lurking under all that vinyl siding out there? Think about what another 20 years will do. Yikes!!!

This can happen and it does happen with other cladding's. I have a home with Hardiplank that I inspected a few months ago with almost the identical problem.

Ain't it scary to think whats lurking under all that vinyl siding out there? Think about what another 20 years will do. Yikes!!!

This can happen and it does happen with other cladding's. I have a home with Hardiplank that I inspected a few months ago with almost the identical problem.

I see a similar pattern of damage on most houses that have had their siding removed. Leaks at the underside of windows, usually concentrated near the weepholes, are very close to epidemic in my area. The damage isn't always as spectacular as that in the pictures, but there's always some staining, at the very least.

Rainscreen is the future.

The builder omitted the flashing. Nailing fins are not flashing. You can see the water streaks concentrated at the corners of the windows. Bad detailing directs water behind the tyvek and soaks the OSB.

They need to pull the vinyl off the whole house and see what else is FUBAR.

The person who owns this house told me the people who tore it apart and put it back together said the J-channel was incorrectly installed, and that's what caused the wholesale leakage.

I asked for details, but that's all she had.