No apparent reason- leak

Chad Fabry

When I went to the basement on Friday, the floor was wet. All the plumbing in our home is less than 5 years old and I installed the K copper piece that was leaking just last fall.

In a Dirkish moment I grabbed the camera to document the drama.

Seriously, I'm adding a blurb to my plumbing section that says something like, plumbing doesn't leak until it does- leaks can occur at any time for no apparent reason.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261074840_P6040005%20(Medium).jpg

62.13?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20126107492_P6040007%20(Medium).jpg

42.99?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261074920_P6040008%20(Medium).jpg

51.77?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261074945_P6040009%20(Medium).jpg

44.88?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261075012_P6040011%20(Medium).jpg

71.37?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261075121_P6040013%20(Medium).jpg

60.1?KB

While the internet has a plethora of good information about the sources of pinhole leaks, it also is ripe with misinformation.

This link presented itself some time ago while researching a similar occurrence: http://www.toolbase.org/building-system ... hole-leaks

Read the whole thing if interested, but the most interesting thing to me was this:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261010532_Capture.jpg

59.01 KB

Oh well, you needed another project to add to the list.

Now don't forget to post pics of the repair. Have you picked out the new pipe? Will it match the decor?

Lucky it was your basement, and good thing you were home to catch it.

Now what about the rest of the copper? [:(] What about the really old copper? Is it still OK?

I'm sure you have filters on your well water, so is there something that can be improved there? Questions, all these questions.

Hi Chad,

I've been hearing about aggressive water with high alkalinity in the eastern states for years. I remember that some of the most brackish stuff I ever tasted was water in upstate New York when I used to work summers building silos up there. Any chance that's what you're dealing with?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Chad,

I've been hearing about aggressive water with high alkalinity in the eastern states for years. I remember that some of the most brackish stuff I ever tasted was water in upstate New York when I used to work summers building silos up there. Any chance that's what you're dealing with?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Man oh Man ... I'm going to make sure I'm on the observant side so I don't get attacked by "aggressive water" .... [;)]

Hi Chad,

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Man oh Man ... I'm going to make sure I'm on the observant side so I don't get attacked by "aggressive water" .... [;)]

Not funny! Try living less than a hundred yards from the lake shore and getting a decent nights sleep!

My spring water pH is 7.0 with little to no dissolved oxygen and very few dissolved solids. The piping section that failed is dead straight and 5 feet from a fitting so I doubt scouring is the cause. Since the tubing was installed for just 9 months, I have to believe that the section was defective.

Now don't forget to post pics of the repair. Have you picked out the new pipe? Will it match the decor?

There is a picture of the repair in the original post. I chose Salvaged Copper Brown and I accessorized with two slip couplings- it matches the decor perfectly.

You need to watch more TV. They sell stuff that'd fix that lickety split, and you can choose between stuff on a roll or stuff in a spray can!

On a more serious note, doesn't your pex tubing squeak with that strap arrangement? I used Wirsbo clips on mine and it makes a chirping noise as the tubing expands. Chirp. Chirp. Chirp.

You need to watch more TV. They sell stuff that'd fix that lickety split, and you can choose between stuff on a roll or stuff in a spray can!

On a more serious note, doesn't your pex tubing squeak with that strap arrangement? I used Wirsbo clips on mine and it makes a chirping noise as the tubing expands. Chirp. Chirp. Chirp.

I was worried about squeaking- especially with the aluminum transfer plates but, the only noise is the occasional complaint from a board subjected to a bit of thermal stress.

While the internet has a plethora of good information about the sources of pinhole leaks, it also is ripe with misinformation.

This link presented itself some time ago while researching a similar occurrence: http://www.toolbase.org/building-system ... hole-leaks

Read the whole thing if interested, but the most interesting thing to me was this:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261010532_Capture.jpg

59.01?KB

I guess harmonic divergence is out.

I kept getting leaks next to my recirculating pump mounted on the side of the WH. A building buddy said that the electric motor was contributing to my leaks by accelerating electrolysis. The damaged piping was getting thinner where the leak started. So we/he added some dielectric unions.