Where to get custom binders

Originally posted by Paul MacLean

So when everyone leaves the site, I know I produced a nearly error free report and that the buyer understands. I do email reports to out-of-towner's and when specifically asked, but my real goal is to get home with nothing to do but log the inspection and file the report.

I envy you there Paul. I don't mind frankly admitting that I still need the time I spend back back at the office sifting through the field notes and photos. There are times when all of the pieces of a particular puzzle don't fall into place until I'm bringing it all together in the report. I would call you a lucky dog, but I know one doesn't get to that point by luck.

Brian G.

"Luck Is the Residue of Hard Work"

The PDF format is the best and cuts file size down even when large pictures are attached. I can and do print on-site reports but I think it is more for my benefit than the clients because it takes less of my time. It makes for good marketing, yea I have it done right now ..... but I do a better report when at home and can manipulate the pictures zoom, crop, resize, and annotate better. I can add the my pool and spa requirements pdf and other safety and maintenance pdfs along with my contract and stack them all together into one password protected file pdf document. Sometime I find myself in the weeds using both ways and have to pull myself back to center. So doing both ways has its pros and cons. Same as with print versus email, whatever the client wants. I try for my clients to be flexible, but even that does not always work. After all isn’t the report where the rubber meets the road?

Originally posted by Erby

Pretty book for the non-computer types.

PDF for the literate.

*Sigh*

Why are there so many people in the world who can't say "I like blue" without saying "There's something wrong with anyone who likes red"?

Brian G.

Baffled By the Mindset [:-boggled

I know from having another business in the past that time and materials really count up. If I don't need to spend extra time and materials great, I'll email. If I need to print out a report I will but I think it's going to just go into a clear binder the way Whisper gives it to you. I think most people know it's the information that's important not how something looks. I hope I'm right in assuming that.

We all agree - it is what the client wants and report content.

Brian, red is never the right color and I just know you are completely wrong and I don't know how you stay in business and I have telephathic skills that can see thru your boiler plate and kurt is certainly not serving his customers by all that electronic stuff and my way is the only way, etc.....

Have a good week-end!

Originally posted by Les

Brian, red is never the right color and I just know you are completely wrong and I don't know how you stay in business and I have telephathic skills that can see thru your boiler plate...

Dammit! Well I put up a good front, but I can't fool a man with telepathic skills. And you just let me prattle along the whole time. You're a hard man Les. [:D]

Brian G.

Now Wearing a Foil-Lined Collander to Keep Les From Stealing My Thoughts! HA! [:-alien]

Originally posted by kurt

Because we're home inspectors!!!

Then there's the fact that you and I are strange and slightly flawed individuals who would gladly debate the relative merits of various condiments on a hot dog for 2 or 3 pages, just for the fun of it (don't deny it, I can call witnesses). [:-mohawk]

Brian G.

Co-Founder of Debaters Anonymous [:-paperba

Bach,

Email has been the way to go from the start (five years). You don't realize the hassle you avoid, the "opportunity" revenue you gain and the amount of time you have to spend elsewhere (turbo SNGs on Poker Stars for me).

TIME = MONEY in our line of work (now that I think about it...everybody's line of work).

Once the report is read, discussed and reviewed with their Realtor (sometimes "cut and pasted" onto the repair addendum - Microsoft Word is somewhat handy); it gets filed "away" and collects dust like those ASHI Reporter magazines we have.

Step into the 21st century...electronic is the ONLY way to go.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Then there's the fact that you and I are strange and slightly flawed individuals who would gladly debate the relative merits of various condiments on a hot dog for 2 or 3 pages.[/color] [:-mohawk]

Brian G.

Co-Founder of Debaters Anonymous[/navy] [:-paperba

There's only one decent dog, & that is Chicago style, on a poppy seed bun, pickle, hot peppers, tomatoes, & a dash of CELERY SALT, DAMMIT.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Originally posted by kurt

There's only one decent dog, & that is Chicago style, on a poppy seed bun, pickle, hot peppers, tomatoes, & a dash of CELERY SALT, DAMMIT.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Heathern! Any civilized person would know that the superior dog is the plumping Southern red dog, on tasty-toasted white, dills, mustard, and AMERICAN CHEESE, DAMMIT. We don't need no stinking poppy seed!

To garnish otherwise is the act of a commie-pinko rat!

Brian G.

So There! [^]

Gentleman;

Growing up I had a hot-dog truck parked about 3 blocks away from my house...Cousin Ben's..too many choices to name.

I know it sounds kinda funny, but if your in the mood for a treat try my favorite.

Spicy brown mustard

Tuna fish (yes, tune fish)

Raw onions

topped with potato chips

Andreas tuna was the name, had 2 a day about 3 days a week for years, Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Darren

(oh the memories)

See this post.

https://inspectorsjournal.com/forum/top ... IC_ID=2065

When Chris thinks about that inspection a few weeks, months, or years from now, he won't be thinking about what she said, or knew, but what she looked like.

Whether it is a PDF or in the binder, in a few weeks or months, the customers and real estate agents won't be thinking about what's in the binder or the words in the report, but how it looked and the presentation.

I know a lot of us say it's what's on the inside that counts, and maybe when we're old and gray it'll be true, but for now most of us remember the packaging, not what she said. Of course some of us are already old and gray.

I Go with style and substance. Either way, I win.

Think about your own preferences for flashy cars, flashy women, flashy tools. You may think about the substance but it's the flash that you remember.

Of course, Jimmy Soul thinks of it a little different than some others:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life

Never make a pretty woman your wife

So for my personal point of view

Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small

And very often causes his downfall

As soon as he married her and then she starts

To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife

A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life

An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time

And she'll always give you peace of mind

Sax solo

Don't let your friends say you have no taste

Go ahead and marry anyway

Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match

Take it from me, she's a better catch

Spoken:

Say man!

Hey baby!

I saw your wife the other day!

Yeah?

Yeah, an' she's ug-leeee!

Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!

Yeah, alright!

E-mail is the most convenient, cheapest and user friendly format for most of my clients in the Cincinnati area. It makes some of them feel like I'm on top of technology and that has as much value as a fancy report...in my market. I do have clients who ask for a written report and in those cases I will hand deliver them anywhere they like. When they get them they are professional and crisp.Out of the last 50 inspections I have actually printed out 3 for client use. The type of report has nothing to do with the quality of inspection on a professional level but presentation is everything...I do my best and then give them what they want. Doesn't everyone?

Trouble is, the information the client needs to make a decision is usually far different from the information required by state or ASHI standards. When you ge right down to it, most of the report is designed to satisfy the standards rather than inform the client. Most clients really dont want to read 30 pages of things that are operational or "serviceable" but we (in AZ) have to report on the condition. It gets a little ridiculous actually, for instance we have to report on skylights whether or not they are present.