Mold License?

My question is meant to be answered as a simple yes or no. If I was a client of yours and asked you if I needed a licensed mold inspector or remediator to address the visible mold on the garage wall, how do you answer?

I know there is a whole bunch of caveats etc. I also know in some states, Michigan for instance, you have to be a licensed contractor to do work on houses, therefore you would be a licensed mold tradesperson. I'm talking about a situation where an individual insists on having a licensed mold person do the work.

I know there are requirements for working within particular cities and jurisdictions, but is there a state requirement/license where you inspect?

I suppose I could have the office staff look it up on Google, but really just want your input in a conversation not a deposition.

Does anyone know a license mold remediator?

Scott and Marc,

is it a special license for mold or is it under another trade? Michigan contractors are required to be licensed if they do anything on your house, therefore to do mold work they must be "licensed", but as a building contractor.

Scott and Marc,

is it a special license for mold or is it under another trade? Michigan contractors are required to be licensed if they do anything on your house, therefore to do mold work they must be "licensed", but as a building contractor.

It's specifically for mold remediators, as I understand. RS 37:2181. Click 'Next Section' for additional related info.

Marc

Edit: I checked the Uniform Construction Code Council for a specific mold remediation certification and didn't see it, so I might be wrong.

Scott and Marc,

The lump it under the contractors board. TN has several levels of contractors licenses based on the dollar amount of work that they do.

No.

If they wanted to know why, I'd tell 'em that there is no such distinction in the State of Washington and that if someone claims to be a "licensed" mold guy it only means that the person has a business license - not that the person has any particular competency or special qualifications that make them any more competent to remove mold than one of the guys on a corner holding a cardboard sign asking for money 'cuz he's homeless.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Maryland is at this point - "law requires that any company or firm that provides mold remediation services on residential property in Maryland to obtain a license to provide mold remediation services. In addition the law requires that each employee who provides mold remediation services must be certified by an accreditation body as a microbial remediation technician or supervisor, whichever is applicable. This license is to be issued by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC), an agency within the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR). The license to provide mold remediation services is different from the MHIC license for a contractor, subcontractor, or salesperson.

This law was scheduled to take effect on June 1, 2010. However, due to budget constraints, the DLLR has postponed the implementation of the Maryland Mold Remediation Services Act until July 1, 2013. "

So who knows.

Texas requires licenses for 'mold assessment' and 'remediation'.

One person cannot hold both licenses.

Texas Dept of Health - Mold Program

Nolan, that was interesting so I read up at your link. Seems that both licenses can be held by one person but they cannot do both on the same project.

Question: Can an individual or company get both a mold assessment license and a mold remediation license?

Answer: Yes, if you meet all qualifications and requirements for each license. However, you are not allowed to conduct both mold assessment and mold remediation activities on the same project, unless you are employed by a school district ? legislation (HB 74), which became effective 05-24-05, amended Section 1958.155 of the Occupations Code to allow a license holder employed by a school district to conduct both assessment and remediation on a project for that school district.

My question is meant to be answered as a simple yes or no. If I was a client of yours and asked you if I needed a licensed mold inspector or remediator to address the visible mold on the garage wall, how do you answer?

When I find visible mold on a garage wall, I figure out the cause and tell the customer how to fix that first. Then I suggest that they get someone's grandmother to actually clean the mold. Grandmothers *know* how to clean mold.