Homemade Hot Sauce

I have had a vegetable garden forever and have always grown cayenne which I dry and grind up as a seasoning. The plants I grow myself is good hot stuff compared to what you would buy dry in a store. I use some and give the rest away as gifts at Christmas.

I statred making hot sauce the last couple years and am now bottling it. Current recipe is called Sister Verona after a favorite wicked nun of my childhood.

Still tinkering with the recipe. I am adding different hot peppers to the main cayenne base with differing results. My goal next year is to make a couple hundred bottles and sell them at the local farmers market.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014112232047_Sister%20V%20pic3.jpg

62.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014112232132_SV%20label%20copy.jpg

68.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014112232345_cayenne2.jpg

130.51 KB

Nice label, although Sister Verona looks a little intimidating. But maybe that was the intent. I was a pretty compliant kid so I didn't get the knuckle raps with the ruler...

I love hot sauces with flavor and not just heat. Garlic, onion, carrots...IMHO something else should be in there other than peppers, salt, and vinegar. At any given time I have at least a half dozen open bottles on the table. Any time I travel I look for something new.

There is a monastery/boarding school up the road called Subiaco where the monks bottle a habanero based sauce. The not-too-imaginative name is Monk Sauce. Frankly, like most habanero products I find it too hot for most uses where it isn't diluted. But it does weed out the folks who claim that "nothing is too hot" for them.

Yeah, hot sauce. I go through a lot of it. I'll pre-order a couple bottles. Good tag line with the "fear of God in every drop".

Agree with the "more than just heat" assessment. Mixing in a little mango, carrots, or other sweetening component makes for some good sauce; not enough where one can actually taste the mango, but to add complexity. Choice of vinegar is critical too; I've taken to Chinese Chinkiang vinegar for a lot of recipes.

All my peppers end up dried and integrated whole into various Asian dishes. Maybe I should try making a little sauce.

Sister Verona looks Hot!

For a little sweetness you can obtain that from some vinegars. Try a white balsamic vinegar, it will not add the dark color that normal balsamic would but it will offer a little sweetness. Malt vinegar will also add a little sweetness but it would also impart some depth that might surprise you, but it will also make it a darker sauce.

Rice wine vinegar is a great mild vinegar that I use often when cooking if I just want a little tartness. Common white vinegar while cheap is a little harsh for me.