Tub water color

Jerry Simon

I've noticed that a few times myself. During one inspection, I took a glass out of the kitchen cabinet and scooped up some of the water so I could see it in different lights. It was clear and no longer appeared tinted. In that case at least, I chalked it up to light absorption. You know, the way the ocean looks blue. Maybe that's what's going on here?

No, within the scope of internationally recognized water quality standards, Chicago has some of the best in the world. I could go into all elements of the debate regarding what constitutes good quality, but our water is top of the pile for major municipal supply.

The green water phenomenon seems to occur with a certain cheap plastic tub. It's weird, but I've seen it. I've even taken a gallon of it up to see if it's the water or the tub...it's always the tub. Another argument to tear out stupid plastic bubble tubs....

If you tested the jets it's probably contamination from the jet jacket. They haven't been using it and every time the tub is drained gorf-laden water remains in the jacket. One of the reasons whirlpool tubs are one of the primary spreaders of staph and mersa.

OT - OF!!!

Not necessarily. It's a weird thing. I've seen exactly what Jerry did, and it's not gorf in the jets.

I've pulled a bucket of water out of those tubs, and when placed in a different fixture, it's pure clear and clean.

I'm reasonably certain it's some weird refractive effect with a certain type of plastic. Maybe I got it wrong.

I see it fairly often too. The color isn't in the water, it has to do with the fiberglass. The fiberglass backing on those tubs is often green. Perhaps, the green color is making it through the gel coat?

Sounds as good as anything. Just glad I ain't the only one seeing such. I wonder what ya'll who see this tell their client?

Also just noticed, since I've been home recouping from shoulder surgery and taking a lot of baths lately, the bath water color is much darker/browner when I'm done. And floaters also appear; lots and lots of floaters. Water almost seems "thicker" as well, with an indescript scum-froth surface film. Go figure.

Well, 'nuff of that; puttin' laptop down; time to dunk & rinse. . .

Also just noticed, since I've been home recouping from shoulder surgery and taking a lot of baths lately, the bath water color is much darker/browner when I'm done. And floaters also appear; lots and lots of floaters. Water almost seems "thicker" as well, with an indescript scum-froth surface film.

[:-yuck]

• 3 months later...

Here's another phenomenon that might be related.

Pure white looking blown-in fiberglass insulation in an attic:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014612212618_IMG_0039%20(Large).jpg

39.37 KB

But when I bury my flashlight in the fiberglass, it glows and eerie green color:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201461221277_IMG_0040%20(Large).jpg

37.59 KB

Some fiberglass just seems to have a green tint.