Jump to content

Air purifier suggestions after mold remediation


Recommended Posts

We went through major mold issues over the last few years. Although it was remediated, we still suffer health side effects. We have been told once it as bad as we had it, you will never be 100% mold free. In the winter when heat is on, we feel much worst. We have had vents cleaned, HVAC checked.

We are now looking for a solution to clean air. Has anyone had luck with ERV, air scrubber or anything else?? Thanks in advance for any info!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be that the occupant has developed an elevated sensitivity to a particular species of mold or mycotoxin as a result of previous exposure to high concentrations that currently remains in that house in normal concentrations (comparable to outdoor concentrations).

What Les said...move.

Marc

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a customer a while back that repeatedly claimed mold was making her sick. She'd had $40,000 (yes, that's 40k) of remedial work done, 3 different well known HVAC contractors checked the systems, and various other trades look into paint toxins, or other possibilities. She was still sick with bad respiratory issues. She got our name from someone and wondered if we could figure anything out.

We went out and in <5 minutes found an air return in the attic that was broken in half and sucking fiberglass insulation and blowing it through the house.

Point of story......

Until there is a bullet proof and valid examination of the entire house by someone looking for any and all possibilities, who knows? Are you getting your health advice from mold people and home inspectors, or are you getting your advice from a trained allergist/medical professional that's looked into all the possible issues in your house and/or life?

Having been through this general storyline too many times over the last several years, I've become highly cynical and suspicious of all claims relating to mold. Everyone thinks what's bothering them is mold. Maybe. Maybe not.

Every house is full of mold. The keyboard you're typing on has a few million spores on it. So does every other surface in your house. Every "mold test" I've reviewed, and I've reviewed a lot of them, shows more mold outside in the ambient air than mold inside the house, yet the reports all point to indoor mold being the problem. The idea that you can get "100% free of mold" is a fallacy.

Maybe you do in fact have extreme mold sensitivities. I don't know. But until I had a chance to check the house out myself, or by someone that I know and trust, I'm skeptical that mold in your very clean and remediated house is a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurt- We had stucco problems, specifically the windows were not flashed. When the walls were taken down, there was black mold everywhere. We replaced three walls that were stucco. When I say replaced, we rebuilt the whole wall including dry wall. We no longer have stucco.

Over the last few years we had other leaks that caused mold. I definitely think my husband developed a sensitivity to it. With all the luck we have had with this house ( sarcastic), I wouldn't be surprised if it is a new issue effecting him. He travels for work and is fine then comes home and feels sick again.

We have been ripped off many times, given bad advice, etc. we are finding it hard to find anyone to help us figure it out. We are in Chester county, PA. Do you know anyone that is a reliable source that could help us??

Thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Badly leaking house repaired, but still some leaks in other locations. Sounds like a mess of lousy construction. Sorry to hear.

OK, could be mold after all.

I'd ask Bill Kibbel; he works PA and NJ. He's in here and will probably read this.

He might be able to help. If not, he probably knows someone who can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amy,

Was it real stucco or an insulated exterior call covering; known as EIFS or Dryvit or etc? There are nationally recognized experts on this forum for either material. The process of helping you is really simple for qualified people. It can not be done on this forum, but we sure can help direct you to qualified people.

Your question has been seen by the best in the nation. Geography has a lot to do with finding the best person.

Keep us posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Hi Amycampbell3,

Run a HEPA air purifier to capture mold spores that have become airborne. HEPA air purifier is an effective solution. Place the air purifier in the room, where you believe the mold is growing. It will capture 99.9% of the entire airborne mold which passes through its filters.

Hope this solution will be helpful for you.

Thanks!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

..........

Until there is a bullet proof and valid examination of the entire house by someone looking for any and all possibilities, who knows? Are you getting your health advice from mold people and home inspectors, or are you getting your advice from a trained allergist/medical professional that's looked into all the possible issues in your house and/or life?.....................

You may be fixated on mold as the cause of your what you think you are experiencing. You may also be attributing the house interior as the source when in fact it may be a delayed reaction to something outside the house that you are in contact with.

It is very possible that mice/rat droppings and their urine may be affecting you. Symptoms are very similar to your description.

If you go looking for mold you will find mold, because it is everywhere and natural. You need to work from a less predetermined causal position.

Most filters and the like only reduce circulation if it is in the duct system. If the system/house is prone to mold generation it will return. If it is something in a gaseous state most filters will not stop transference. The possible solution may be in air scrubbers that work on various levels and is not an off the shelf purchase. BUT, you have to know what you are really going after first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...