Anchoring Compressor to Support

Mike Lamb

...around here metal thieves haul those units away for salvage. A local metalworks shop offers steel "cages" to protect them. I guess bolting down might deter a thief, just as porch rockers are often tethered to cables fastened to the house.

Wow, I didn't know crime was that bad up Athens way. When we lived in ATL we looked up your way as God's country......

.... just as porch rockers are often tethered to cables fastened to the house.

Tell me you made that up.

not uncommon in many classless urban areas

kids will be kids, think relocation is an art form & drunk rednecks believe yard furnishing look just as good if not better "at my house"...got pickup

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/pol ... b2370.html

as far as anchoring condensing units all ground and rooftop units are required to be secured in tx windstorm areas

i advise all as a general precaution due to the upsurge in theft

We had two wooden rockers removed from our front porch not long ago. A few days later while talking to some neighbors one of them said he was driving home and watched a yard guy with mowers on a trailer going down the street with two rockers sitting in the trailer. We joke that we live in our own "Mayberry", but thugs are everywhere!

Jim,

the hills are fairly short and close together here, so roadways, often state highways, can come pretty close to dwellings, so the stop and grab operators can work quickly. So those chairs look like roadside inmates shackled together on some porches.

.... just as porch rockers are often tethered to cables fastened to the house.

Tell me you made that up.

...around here metal thieves haul those units away for salvage. A local metalworks shop offers steel "cages" to protect them. I guess bolting down might deter a thief, just as porch rockers are often tethered to cables fastened to the house.

When I was young I knew some miscreants who took a canoe off the top of a car in the early AM, carried it a couple blocks and put it on someone's front porch. In Chicago you got to lock those canoes down.

I don't recall these delinquents ever stealing a rocking chair.

BTW. I read the state of Illinois is #1 in insurance claims for theft of precious metals.

Jim,

They use them around here too! Had to laugh when I saw these. This is a decent area also. New construction so that's probably why it was targeted. Builder told me it wasn't happing again! Kinda makes for a bad look when the realtor is showing the property though.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015414205930_72666_10200805255519176_1782458442_n.jpg

128.1 KB

This was an insane deal here until the authorities forced the scrappers to refuse copper coil unless there was a job work order, paper trail, or some similar proof of chain of ownership. Stopped overnight.

Similar deal here, scrap yards require photo id and the paper trail tends to dry up the crack heads easy money stream.

It is rare that I see a stolen condensing unit now.

• 2 weeks later...