Access ladder

kurt

Dang. I think I would have climbed the inside/underside of the ladder and then gotten on top of it. But that's just me... I'm scared as hell of ladders.

Bingo. Climb up the inside, once slightly past the bend, monkey around top side, reverse on the way down. I ain't fallling.....ruins the whole day.

3 points of contact at all times. Two hands, one foot....two feet, one hand...never move more than one contact point at a time. Slow, steady, grip it like you mean it.

And, 11 stories, not 8. I was feeling kinda plucky after checking out that roof.

Next door was kinda cool too.....

Click to Enlarge
tn_20155801653_Hancock.jpg

41.31 KB

Buy a Miller harness with two lanyards for 100% tie off!

Are you losing it?!

When you climb the outside of one of these, there's a point where you're facing out for part of the trip. Never did it myself. Been inside though.

The platform at the bottom is for the door to the business end of the interior. It's 50 feet up from the ground.

Click to Enlarge
2015588244_Nuclear-cooling-tower.jpeg

47.28?KB

What does one do when they get to a big ticket condo job, and they find out the realtor didn't answer the questions correctly and a bunch of stuff they have to look at is on the roof?

This one climbs the ladder. High adventure with no one watching. It made my day.

Personally I would never climb something that high, especially without a safety harness.[:-bigeyes

Years ago I interviewed to be a wind turbine technician. Wearing a safety harness attached to a cable I climbed up a 200 foot wind machine tower. Once I got to the top I had to crawl out top of access hatch and scoot the the edge of a small railing that was about 8" tall, safety straps on both hips. You would be surprised how much they move and flex at the top.

Yes, I did.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201557211638_DSCN6487.jpg

55.37 KB

You are one crazy dude. I fell 12 stories just looking at that picture. I will certainly have some bad dreams tonight. Thanks buddy.

I think Kurt engineered it so that if he fell, it would be only to the catwalk.

I'd have done it, for the sake of fully serving that client but I'd would of needed a massage afterwards to calm down.

Marc

I think my high wire aerial career is near the end. I used to do this stuff and never feel a flutter, just sure balance and calm. This one....I'm pretty sure my fingerprints are embedded in the iron. High adventure in the inner city.

• 5 months later...

Back in 08 I climbed up Half Dome when the cables were down. It's about 4700 vertical hike on a 7.5 mile each way trail. When I got to where I could see it there's a 400 vert steep hill to climb, with snow on it. It was scary with the snow on the trail. If you're going to slip it better be over some place you can catch yourself.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015119234449_go%20where.jpg

77.34 KB

When I got to where I could see the cables it seemed too scary just to walk over to where they were, but I decided after coming all that way that I would just go over to where they started. What could be wrong with that? Felt like being on top of a school bus roof 4k feet in the air. They drop the cables down for the winter.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015119234712_cables%20down.jpg

56.39 KB

Hand over hand, up I went. Let's just go a little ways and see how it is. Not too fast cause I didn't want to get faint and loose my grip. From the getgo I did not look down. No mam, do not look down. Once on top it all became much more relaxing. Coming down was a piece of cake, slowly. I did a lot of rock climbing when I was 20 or so for a few years, but it goes away when you don't do it anymore. If you keep the skills up, no big deal.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015119235048_how%20steep.jpg

73.11 KB