Permits... How do you check for them?

I don't check for permits, honestly I don't see folks waiting in line to pay for permit checking?.. I have used BuildFax a few times before but each time it was for a litigation case I was working on and I was looking for specific items?

I would love to see us have access to CLUE reports over permits...

We just do an online search in the county's database, which is free. Sometimes permits don't show up there (like for gas permits... they're handled by the gas company, which doesn't make permits available for online search, but they're usually very good about tags on permitted work).

It's just part of our pre-inspection preparation, and can often provide clues about less-than-ideal work (e.g. deck permit pulled but not finaled).

Permits.....Chicago....even if they have permits, it doesn't mean much. City of Chicago Building's Dept. is a swamp of corruption. Checking permits doesn't figure into my biz model.

I sometimes tell customers to "check permit trail, etc., etc.", as an additional means to drive home a point that a particular job is a POS. That's about it.

Might be a good idea in your market area. You are making less work for the agents, something some will appreciate more than doughnuts. [:)]

Yeah, because unlocking a door and pointing at the new beige paint for a few grand, can really wear some of them out.

I rarely chase permits and only for the same reason as Kurt. I generally offer code cites to show deficiencies rather than try to demonstrate that work was neither permitted nor muni inspected.

Permits records are discarded after 10 years here...politics.

Marc

I rarely chase permits and only for the same reason as Kurt. I generally offer code cites to show deficiencies rather than try to demonstrate that work was neither permitted nor muni inspected.

Permits records are discarded after 10 years here...politics.

Marc

In GA state archiving law says that nothing but CO's have to be kept, and then only for 3 yrs...yet code books have to be kept in perpetuity by the AHJ.