Redwood that is older than you.

I pulled the redwood raft out of my lake last week, where is has served me well for more than 25yrs. I bought it when it was 30years old. It is a little worn but I can't scrap it. I am a compulsive wood hoarder. I have to trim the ends, cut away the muskrat chewings, pull the nails and store it in my barn attic.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015102083341_DSCN0023.jpg

95.16 KB

I nearly did not post this photo because I did not want you guys to know I have a Harbor Freight tape measure and an old crappy table saw!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015102083532_DSCN0020.jpg

81.63 KB

Some of you will get the wood hoarding and most will think (know) me crazy. This stuff has to be hundreds of years old and from thousands of miles away.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015102083744_DSCN0021.jpg

48.53 KB

...some don't call it hoarding. Some call it respect for things in themselves. I too am a hoarder of good looking wood scraps, and often end up making something really great, like the frame for this stain glass panel as a gift for an in-law. The wood was a three foot length of mahogany flooring that I ripped in half and and had only about an inch of leftover length. The wood was so hard I only pinned it with cut-off nails at the joints and held the whole work together with silicone caulk front and back.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20151020102537_IMG_1425_resize.jpg

94.97 KB

I nearly did not post this photo because I did not want you guys to know I have a Harbor Freight tape measure and an old crappy table saw!

Never mind the tape measure-- what's with the hammer?

The wood is worth saving. My scrap rack is bordering on OCD as well but just yesterday I found the perfect piece to recreate a rebate on 1830's sash. No machining necessary I just had to cut to length using my awesome Japanese pull saw. If I was rich, I'd buy everyone I know a Japanese pull saw because they're that awesome.

Except you Les, I'd buy you a Chinese made Japanese style pull saw to go with your Harbor Freight motif.

My grandfather (when he homesteaded in NE Montana in the late 1890s and early 1900s built a sizeable barn. As with many things time took it's toll and it fell down after many years of neglect. I was living in Salt Lake City at the time (during my first marriage) and my wife and I recovered a bunch of the original barn boards, hauled them to SLC and put them on one of our basement walls.

How I wish those 'aged boards' could have been more transportable.

I have no clue as to status of those barn boards today. It is possible the follow on homeowners may not have even had a clue.

Such memories.

Les - great wood to collect.