bad smell under sink and in base cabinets

plumberchrissie

Putrid Smell in base cabinets, like very bad garbage and must.

Kitchen updated within 8 years.  Structure is mid-century.  Bathroom is about 8 feet away.  Studio, so people sleep in the room.  Smell an issue since I have moved in, eliminated other issues as possibilities over time.  Smell in kitchen is worst after using shower. There was a leak in drain about a month ago, but smell existed prior.

Thanks in advance for all help!

20180630_110115.jpg

I am renting this cottage and i have been told a plumber is coming next week. However this plumber may have installed this trap and he came to fix a leak last month and did not address this. I have been told that i should close all the windows and turn on a humidifier to solve issue of smell. I was also brought an array if air fresheners. I appreciate your taking time to comment but I am trying to educate myself about possible issue so that I can advocate for myself more effectively and deal with plumber and landlord.

Edited by plumberchrissie

Not something dead under cabinet. Had persisted at least 8 months. I took the pic to a plumbing place today and plumber confirmed that pucture shows unvented p trap...probably replaced original s trap during remodel and did not bother to vent.  I looked with flashlight and can see p trap is dry after running other water in house. Sewer gas.

3 hours ago, plumberchrissie said:

Not something dead under cabinet. Had persisted at least 8 months. I took the pic to a plumbing place today and plumber confirmed that pucture shows unvented p trap...probably replaced original s trap during remodel and did not bother to vent.  I looked with flashlight and can see p trap is dry after running other water in house. Sewer gas.

It wouldn't stink under sink if it was that. #Plumber wrong.

Maybe multiple issues. The pipe is often leaking (See grungy areas) so I think it is possible that is why smell from sewer gas is strongest under sink-i would think they would leak out first available spot. . The plumber said to check with a flashlight for water in trap after flushing nearby tools I could not see water in trap.  this is terrible. I have to sleep here in this room!

It could be leaking sewer gas at the clamps. That could be a flaky connection there.

The galvanized steel pipe is smaller than what we use nowadays. I do not think it is sucking the trap dry. It does not have the volume to do that. You could run a little water into the trap to refill after using the sink to confirm the trap has water in it.

I'll bet the unvented drain is the problem. Sewer gas can't get out, so pressure builds up and blows past the hose clamp, or from somewhere below, and you smell it under the sink.

If it was the trap, you'd smell it in the sink, not under the sink.

Dead rats dry out and stop stinking eventually.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Having issues with smell coming from under counter vented sink drain.  Relatively new construction and home built on concrete slab.  I installed (diehard DIYer here) the drainage for a doubl;e bowl sink with both  sinks connecting to a p trap in the middle.  The p trap is connected to the 3 inch main drain via a sanitary T (3 " w reduced to 1  & 1/2 ).  Main drain fitted with under sink AAV vent approximately 5 inches above where p trap is connected.  Main drain is connected under the slab to the vent stack going up the interior wall  and through the roof at a distance of approximately 10 to 12 feet from the sink

Most appreciative for any suggestions as to why the smell.  Drains operate properly btw

Thanks

Edited by DieHard DIYer
new posting rather than response

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...