Limited inspections

Someone alerted me to this so I checked home inspector regulatory requirements of a few states, including my own, and found that, in each case I checked, an inspection can legally be pared down to whatever the client agrees to.

Why on earth would a legislature do this?

How about when the client and you decide because of a major issue, to curtail the inspection half done? Legislation shouldn't force the inspection to continue.against the client's will.

My client one day thought he was buying a modular and I pointed out it was actually a mobile with a metal frame and spring shackles. Right there, he was no longer interested, but he owed me for the hour and a half before he arrived.

Also there has to be flexibility for a roof inspection for a client's insurance company or some other focused inspection, crawlspace only or just the new installation..

5 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

I agree with what everyone else has said. In general, however, it's not the legislature that makes this call, it's the rule-making body. 

In Louisiana, the rules must follow the legislative statutes, otherwise the Separation of Powers clause of the state constitution is violated.

I appreciate all the responses.  I'm thinking of offering a 3-point inspection, mechanical, electrical and plumbing.

Sorry did not see link or whatever to OP.

Just last week I started one of those inspects where you cannot make any progress due to cascading problems from the gitgo.

Told client he could call me off like a dog off the hunt and I would bill him hourly.

Ten minutes later he blew the whistle, threw the flag, we settled amicably and I issued a letter later for the paperwork folks.

4 hours ago, Jim Baird said:

Sorry did not see link or whatever to OP.

Just last week I started one of those inspects where you cannot make any progress due to cascading problems from the gitgo.

Told client he could call me off like a dog off the hunt and I would bill him hourly.

Ten minutes later he blew the whistle, threw the flag, we settled amicably and I issued a letter later for the paperwork folks.

I'm not following very well Jim.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

I'm not following very well Jim.

I spend a lot of time in the Southeast, so I can translate.

At an inspection last week, Jim  discovered an outpouring of many problems, right from the start. 

Jim advised his client that he could abort the inspection and would only have to pay for Jim's time to that point. 

10 minutes later, the client asked Jim to discontinue, payed a reduced fee and Jim later issued a letter the client could use to terminate the purchase agreement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1