WHat would I have to pay

In a market where inspectors charge from 250-425 for a basic house. What would I have to pay for a good guy to work for me? I have found that most people want to be Inspectors on their own--the schools convince them they are gonna be rich in 2 weeks. WHat is the number? For those of you who have started out but are struggling--first few years--what would it take for you to shelve your operation and go out and do inspections under our umbrella. Inspection plus report, using our tools, our uniform, our insurance, our gas, our toll money....

Your vehicle, mind, personality.. etc.

Since we are geographically diverse use a dollar amount and a percentage of the fee. I know what I can afford to pay, I know what I want to pay, but I am curious about evryones opinion.

Pete

Pete,

I worked for two home inspection companies before going out on my own. I was a sub contractor. My own tools, truck, gas, insurance, E&O, etc. I was paid 50% of the gross. The average inspection was $235. The on-site check list report was the only thing they provided besides the client. I averaged 10 inspections per week.

I would have stayed with them forever. I really had no desire to go out on my own. The only problem I had with both of these guys was that they were realtor whores. I got tired of the arguing. Both of these guys would look people in the eyes and swear on a stack of Bibles that they worked for the client (buyer) only. That was nothing but a big fat lie and they were able to convince themselves was true. It was the damndest thing I ever saw.

Anyway, the point is, above all else get someone who shares your philosophy.

George

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

If I ever considered being an employee it'd take 50% of the gross to buy me and I wouldn't want to do anything but inspections.

Nothing but the inspection--meaning you would not want to do the report? Or you just dont want to do marketing and stuff like that?

Pete

I don't think any amount would convince me. I've been self-employed for 10 years, and I'm totally spoiled for ever working for anyone else, ever again.

Licenses in 2 states....$550 dollars

Having total control of all my time and decisions...Priceless

I'd be very careful about hiring anyone who's been self-employed for long...they may not play well with others. Then again, I wouldn't hire a greenhorn either....damned if I'll train a competitor, and that's what you're doing, all too often. Best of luck Pete. [:-clover]

Brian G.

My Boss Understands Me [:-angel]

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I'd do the report. I wouldn't want to do any scheduling, marketing, mailing, emailing etc. if I even considered working for someone it would be to eliminate all that stuff.

Wanna move? Actually I have gotten some really good resumes so far.

I figured that is what you were saying and that is exactly what we want.

I will keep you all posted,

Pete

Pete,

The sub-contractors that worked for me were paid 30-40% of inspection fee (depending on experience, ASHI membership etc). Here, an inspection usually includes home inspection, WDI & radon. Payments also included radon pick-ups. If the job was further that 45 minutes, milage was added. If the inspector was requested, additional 5% was added.

Inspector had field books they filled out and returned to the office, I personally completed all the reports; I want to know & be responsible for any piece of paper that leaves my office (if I didn't understand what the inspector was saying, I couldn't expect the client to understand it).

I had a teriffic inspector; worked 6 years, no major problems...until he went to California to settle a relatives estate and never came back.

If the inspector is working as an employee, than the fees should be reduced, as you will be responsible for payroll taxes.

Darren

Originally posted by Darren

Pete,

The sub-contractors that worked for me were paid 30-40% of inspection fee (depending on experience, ASHI membership etc). Here, an inspection usually includes home inspection, WDI & radon. Payments also included radon pick-ups. If the job was further that 45 minutes, milage was added. If the inspector was requested, additional 5% was added.

Inspector had field books they filled out and returned to the office, I personally completed all the reports; I want to know & be responsible for any piece of paper that leaves my office (if I didn't understand what the inspector was saying, I couldn't expect the client to understand it).

I had a teriffic inspector; worked 6 years, no major problems...until he went to California to settle a relatives estate and never came back.

If the inspector is working as an employee, than the fees should be reduced, as you will be responsible for payroll taxes.

Darren

What are you doing now? Just turning down jobs?

Pete

Neal,

If all predictions come true, we will be conducting more inspections at a higher cost (all due to the law). Only time will tell. Maybe all those inspection school ads will come true, make lots of money in little time.

As far as the meeting, I'm on the fence; my wife is having an operation the next day so I'll have to see how nervous she is the day before; I also hear it's not going to be great weather either.

Darren

Brian,

Thanks for your concern; no not a serious thing, but you know the hospitals, they make you sign everything in case something happens. And of course, whenever you go under the knife, you just hope everyone involved had a good nights sleep.

Darren

• 1 month later...