Black streaking: modified bitumen roof

Mike Lamb

What do you think would cause the black streaking on this roof cover? It reminds me of black algae on the north side of the shingles roof but I don't think I've seen this before. The roof was in good condition and I would estimate around 10 years old or so.

IMG_6468AA.JPG

IMG_6477AA.JPG

Reminds me of when I was a kid. We went to visit my cousins in Pittsburgh and all went out for vanilla ice cream cones. My cousins showed me how if you just hold up your cone in the air for a while without licking it, a grey film formed on the ice cream and dripped down it in streaks - just like the streaks in those pictures. According to them it was coal dust, which was thick in the Pittsburgh air in the '60s. They insisted that it made the ice cream taste better. 

Did this roof taste better? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

People who live in humid areas are likely to experience the problem of algae growing on their asphalt shingle roofs. These people know that it is not a pleasant sight. The dark streaks covering the roof are really bad for aesthetics it just doesn’t look attractive at all it just makes your roof look dirty, dull and un cared for. 

2 hours ago, Amazon said:

People who live in humid areas are likely to experience the problem of algae growing on their asphalt shingle roofs. These people know that it is not a pleasant sight. The dark streaks covering the roof are really bad for aesthetics it just doesn’t look attractive at all it just makes your roof look dirty, dull and un cared for. 

very insightful.  thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The most effective method of cleaning algae and moss from a roof is with a 50:50 mix of laundry strength liquid chlorine bleach and water. Apply with a sprayer and allow the solution to dwell on the roof surface for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water.

Edited by Bill Kibbel
Link drop from Pakistan.