Switching to a tankless water heater

nicole20

Hi all! Our old traditional water heater just broke down and instead of repairing it, we decided to purchase a new one instead. We are planning to switch to a tankless water heater since, from what I read from this site (Link removed), they are energy saving. However, they are a bit more expensive, so I'm having second thoughts about whether or not they are worth it. To those who have one, what are your thoughts? Would you say that it's worth it?

I've heard that they also do not last as long as storage type heaters, and encourage the wasting of hot water.

They're still favored by those with a desire for unlimited hot water and don't mind higher investment and operating costs.

I have had two Takagi natural gas water heaters in the past. They were very energy efficient but more problematic than a standard tank unit. They waste more water, there's a longer delay to get hot water. Also I don't like the "cold water sandwich" effect. For example you get in the shower after using hot water else where, the shower water starts off hot from previous usage, then it goes cold for a bit before the tankless kicks back on. If you have hard water or on a well, I would not recommend one as the mineral build up will cause it to plug it up quickly. They recommend descaling and flushing out once a year, this will require a flush kit. I would not recommend any type of electric unit, natural gas or propane only.          

9 hours ago, Marc said:

I'd like to put one in my travel trailer on account of the current storage WH in it being only 6 gallons. It would please the spouse. Don't want it, don't need it, in my house.

Gee Marc, six gallons would shower me, couple dogs and my good lookin' neighbor!  Any longer in the shower, I get all wrinklie! 

On 4/25/2022 at 8:38 AM, Marc said:

I'd like to put one in my travel trailer on account of the current storage WH in it being only 6 gallons. It would please the spouse. Don't want it, don't need it, in my house.

Trick the existing unit into thinking it's on demand by using both fuels. If I'm washing dishes either gas or electric are adequate. Showering, turn on both. The shorter recovery nearly doubles capacity.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:24 PM, Les said:

Gee Marc, six gallons would shower me, couple dogs and my good lookin' neighbor!  Any longer in the shower, I get all wrinklie! 

Sounds about right. I can picture Les, a couple of dogs, and his good lookin' neighbor all lathered up standing under the shower head together as the hot water runs out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, Tom Raymond said:

Trick the existing unit into thinking it's on demand by using both fuels. If I'm washing dishes either gas or electric are adequate. Showering, turn on both. The shorter recovery nearly doubles capacity.

My TT is a 2002 Northwood Nash. Didn't have propane/electric water heaters back then, as far as I can tell. Refrigerator/freezer is propane/electric.

• 4 months later...

I'm seeing more and more wall mounted boilers here. I know that they've dealt with the hot cold sandwich effect with small accumulator tanks (go figure!) in some Rinnais. The Triangle Tube system has a cabinet thats larger but far more open space inside and a more contained heat exchanger that offers little to see, but I've never seen one with a problem - yet.

Like all technologies, things have improved. The same scale reducing improvements that have been included in conventional water heaters are also incorporated in newer on-demand systems.

I'm curious why you guys suggest that they use more water?

On 9/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, ejager said:

I'm curious why you guys suggest that they use more water?

I can't speak to boilers. 

For water heaters, it's not that the water heater uses more hot water, it's the people that do, at least in the US. (I'm not sure about Canada). When you tell US of Americans that they'll never run out of hot water, they don't use a little bit more, they use a whopping bit more. Every time it's been studied, it's been the same. Not true in Europe, interestingly. Europeans tend to use the same amount of water with tank type or tankless hot water sources. 

• 2 months later...

I got my tankless water heater installed by <deleted>, here's where you can learn more  <deleted link> about the services they offer. Based on my experience, switching from a storage tank to a tankless water heater is a really good move because it is much more efficient. Tankless water heaters don't need to keep turning on and off from time to time since it does not have a storage tank that needs to maintain a certain temperature. It only turns on whenever you need hot water and it has been working really well for me.