Your "If I could" dream vintage car

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1958 Packard Hawk

32 years ago I found an old magazine from 1957 with one of those black and white lithograph type ads featuring a Packard Hawk. It's just a Studebaker-Packard Hawk with a different nose and tail arrangement, but it just had 'something' that said, "You and me, Babe."

These sold for nearly $4,000 in 1957-58. That was a lot of change back then. Hell, I bought a brand new Firebird Esprit in June 1970 that only cost me $3,280! Oddly enough, $4,000 is about what the basket cases go for now.

There were only about 600 made. I've been on the hunt for one since. Every time I found one for sale, the financial situation said, "Nope, not right now." Later, when things got better and there was a little disposable income, if I managed to find one they've not been for sale at any price.

Sigh

M.

200632693130_Packard_Hawk3.jpg

200632693151_Packard_Hawk.jpg

200632693219_Packard_Hawk2.jpg

That reminds me of high school, Mike. I had a buddy whose dad had two interesting vehicles, an Avanti (a rather timeless car) and a Sudabaker Hawk which came stock with a supercharger. We took the Hawk around the Washington DC beltway the night it was opened and were going so fast with the windows down that the headliner blew out of it and scared the living *&^^ out of us. That Hawk could fly.

Both cars were very cool.

Also, across the street from me was a man that owned two identical apartment green Packards (I don't know what year they were, but he lived for them.)

I did not know that Studebaker and Packard had a relationship.

Yep,

Packard was bought by Stude in the 50's. Or maybe it was the other way around. I've always thought Stude bought Packard because they put the Stude name first.

I blame the Lark. I think they were so anxious to get on the compact car bandwagon that they needed to tool up for a new plant and production and couldn't afford to do the Lark as well as maintain the Packard line. Whimps!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Checker Marathon, '72 or '73 w/the opera windows. Big & roomy interior, steel bod that felt like 3/32" rolled steel, engine that was about as complicated as a lawn mower, & plenty of room for luggage.

All I'd need would be ladder racks, & I'd be stylin' in the Citaaay.......

I once had a Checker!

Back in '71. I was working as a mechanic at State Toyota in Schenectady, N.Y. and hiding out from my 1st wife under the name Chad Christoffen, so they couldn't find me to serve me divorce papers(Hah, held out for 2-1/2 years and she caved on everything she was trying to get. Another story). [:-dev3]

I bought it from one of the guys in the shop. It needed a clutch and the engine rebuilt because the mains were worn out after life as a cab. I couldn't afford to put a clutch in it or rebuild it, so I filled the crankcase with 90 weight gear oil and drove it for about a year. Smoked and knocked but just kept right on going. Named it Labomba. [:-bonc01]

I moved a lot (One step ahead of Mrs. O'H #1) and would load everything I had, including that huge tool cabinet and my Sun PB1081 scope, into the back seat). There was so much room I didn't even need a trailer.

Ah, those were the days! Whoops, sorry Mike. Kurt just hit my giggle button with that one.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No apologies needed! Let the memories and stories flow. No holds barred.

As for ex's, I've got a couple of them myself. Married twice for a total of 20 years resulting in 3 girls, 2 boys and 3 grand babies. Retired from marriage (I think...) for 12 years and loving life (absolute freedom is pretty intoxicating... but, ya never know... as they say, "never say never"...)

I had a 63 Falcon Futura hardtop metallic blue with a 260 V8. (downside... automatic, but it would definitely get up and go!) Very nice car. I loved it and probably put a couple hundred coats of wax on that baby.

I had the good fortune to own a 1956 T'bird in 1965. I once got the 150 mph speedometer past 135mph on west Texas back roads before I chickened out. Unfortunately life's situation changed and I had to sell it. Paid $900 for it and sold it for $1300 18 months later.

Yeah...I would go there again.

Dreamin' on a Sunday...

Paul, One of the guys a few grades older than me on my paper route had a BEAUTIFUL 1955 candy apple red with black rolled and pleated leather interior with chrome crager mags. It was to die for. It kinda reminded me of the Batmobile painted red. What a car!

And, about two years ago I did an inspection in Norfolk, VA and the home seller had a 1956 thunderbird that was about as close to perfectly stock as I've ever seen. It was a greenish blue (even the rims) with original baby moon hub caps. It was fine!

One of these days...

Another '56 T-bird story. I was working for an oil field service company at the time, and the company yard was one mile north of the Hobbs, NM city limits. Following a job one fine sunny day, I pulled out of the parking lot headed for home when a buddy pulled out at the same time in his 1958 Chevy. (That's another car I like.)

Anyway we pulled out onto the four lane side-by-side and the impromptu race began. We went through the city limits sign side-by-side at 100mph. Youth can be stupid, but it sure was fun!

Originally posted by mgbinspect

That's funny. I thought at first glance it was a Javelin, but I didn't recall that being the car you originally referred to in earlier posts so I dismissed it. I always thought those were good looking cars.

My "First" car was a Grand Prix, my "Second" car was the Javelin. The Javelin was very fast but the brakes did not work very well. Not a good combo for a teenage driver.

Not really a "vintage" (well, if it were a real A/C then it would be vintage), but this has been my brother's (co-owner of company) dream for quite some time. Funny what someone can finish (two yrs in the garage) when his plate runneth over.

And for the speed freaks on the board.... http://www.wimp.com/fiat/

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif driver2.JPG

100.66 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif front2.JPG

95.83 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif rear2.JPG

97.88 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif rear3quarter2.JPG

114.42 KB

BTW - thanks to hausdok and his wealth of knowledge....I like the image resizer link from another post

Sweet!

The spring of '68 for about 4 weeks I worked half a day at a Ford dealership about 15 miles away as part of a work-study program between B.O.C.E.S. trade schools and business. The owner of that dealership was a young playboy by the name of Carter Getty who bought the dealership as his toy. My job was to tend to his two Bristol AC-based Cobras. One was a 427 the same color as the one in the photo and the other was a 289, white with a big ol' set of black stripes down the center.

I can't tell you how envious the other gear-balls in my B.O.C.E.S. auto mechanics class were when I returned to school after my month at the dealership. It worked out fine. He got a slave for 4 weeks who's biggest fear was that he'd get taken off the Cobras and put to real work on peoples' clunkers and I became top gear-ball in the class for a few weeks. Life was good!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

Looked like a pretty lousy line the G.T. driver was taking. Either that or those things corner like a Rambler.