Your "If I could" dream vintage car

My wife bought a Suburu Outback Legacy in 2000. Believe it or not, she managed to hit a pot hole big enough to snap the front torsion bar in 06' but besides that, there's been no major failure of any kind. It has never stopped on her or bogged in any kind of road condition. I just don't like the seating. It's best suited for people with short legs and long backs, otherwise the steering wheel is far away.

Marc

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to tear up the front diff and transfer case towing my camper, way too much lift on the weight distribution hitch. Every time the trailer hit a bump the transfer case flipped out switching front to back in rapid succession. The dealer fixed everything under warranty and gave me a rental. My only complaint is that the service writer is a twit, they had the car for 10 days and never looked at the TSB on the fuel map, so it went back a month later for reprogramming and a new cat converter while I sat 3 hours in the waiting room. They had a brand new WRX on the lot but for some reason wouldn't let me take it for a spin[:-dev3]

They had a brand new WRX on the lot but for some reason wouldn't let me take it for a spin[:-dev3]

Hi, I was coming back from an ITA conference in Vegas in 2004 with the previous Baja (the 165hp non-turbo version) when I decided to drive up the coast highway through Northern California and Oregon to Washington. The wife is deathly afraid of heights. Around the time we hit Oregon I couldn't take the whimpering any longer so I decided to strike off across the state through the mountains to Portland. I got behind a 300hp WRX - one of those nice cobalt blue jobs with all the fancy dressings and a young guy at the wheel. For over a hundred miles we dueled across the state. He did everything he could to shake me. He had superior suspension and twice my horsepower. He could walk away on the straight sections but despite his suspension he didn't have the cornering skills and shortly after entering any S's would find me up his tailpipe again or blowing by him and then he'd have to struggle to keep up until the next straight. When we finally hit smooth straight road again, he pulled up alongside with a grin the size of the moon on his face and gave me a thumbs up before rocketing away down the interstate at a speed that would have had the wife smacking me with her handbag if I'd tried to pursue.

That was a fun afternoon! It reminded me of my younger years in my '70 Firebird 400 dueling with Camaros and Mustangs in the Catskills and Bershires of New York State and Connecticut.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What does everyone drive when you grow weary of your work vehicle?

Horses.

Mountain Bike.

In my dreams, my first car........

Click to Enlarge
tn_20106603344_1950-chevrolet-styleline-business-coupe.jpg

28.15 KB

In reality, my wifes stinkin' Subaru Outback. [:)]

It really does stink too, since she brought home those live crabs about a month ago. [:)]

What's wrong with an Outback? I love mine; hauls all my tools, tows my camper, and doesn't burp every time you pass a gas station. I just got back from a trip to Virginia where I out paced a Mitsubishi Outlander for mileage, and I'm still driving on fuel I bought in WV on the way home Sunday.

Tom

No offense intended. the Outback is supposed to be my backup winter vehicle. I just don't like power everything, windows get left open, gotta go in get keys, power unlock, turn key, shut window, power lock up, what a pain!

(My '97 Lariat used to lock itself while idling in the driveway! Beauty!) Then there's the leaky sunroof, only leaks once in a while when you're off your guard.

It is a bit of a dog on a hill with all the weight of the gadgets. You can't replace two tires, it has to be four. You can't tow the Outback unless you pull a fuse for the all-wheel-drive, so you need glasses in the glovey so you can look up the fuse location, better toss in a flashlight too then, what a pain!

My normal ride is a normal Toyota Tacoma four-banger automatic. Window cranks, power nothing, super reliable, better on fuel than the Outback, hauls ass for it's size, has a timing chain, no rubber belt BS. It's a low rider, corners good, I drove 4X4's for years, but 2 wheel is all I need now. My next truck will be another Tacoma 4 cylinder.

For my fun work vehicle, how about Richard's Pinto wagon?

No, how about the 'Revolution"?

I'm with Charlie. I don't buy anything I can't pay cash for. No debt, no sweat.

No mortgage?

That's usually an investment. Cars, not so much.

Anyone who buys a brand spanking new car, didn't. As soon as there's a registration sticker on it and the tail lights cross the curb, it's a used car. Don't do it. EVER!

. . . Anyone who buys a brand spanking new car, didn't. As soon as there's a registration sticker on it and the tail lights cross the curb, it's a used car. Don't do it. EVER!

Mostly true. However. . .

When we bought my wife's Prius, while the ink was still wet on the title and before we even drove it off the lot, the dealer offered to buy it back from us for $600 more than we had just paid for it. He explained that, since it was now "used" he could sell it for $1,000 more than what we paid for it. Toyota limited the new sale price, but couldn't dictate the used sale price.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

. . . Anyone who buys a brand spanking new car, didn't. As soon as there's a registration sticker on it and the tail lights cross the curb, it's a used car. Don't do it. EVER!

Mostly true. However. . .

When we bought my wife's Prius, while the ink was still wet on the title and before we even drove it off the lot, the dealer offered to buy it back from us for $600 more than we had just paid for it. He explained that, since it was now "used" he could sell it for $1,000 more than what we paid for it. Toyota limited the new sale price, but couldn't dictate the used sale price.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That brings back two memories.

GM doesn't care. Remember back when they came out with The 454 SS pick up trucks? The dealer I worked for slammed a $1000.00 bump sticker on the thing and refused to discount it. It sat around while the other dealers blew them out before folks realized how useless they would be in the winter.

Remember the big Saturn scam? Pay sticker and we'll stand around and cheer when you take delivery? The dealers would go nuts if they heard you took one in trade. For a while,they tried to buy them to keep them out of other dealer's used lots. I actually sold one for more than the original sticker price, to a friend of the service manager of my store. I had no idea I'd done this, until the shit hit the fan. The original window sticker had been in the glove box with the manual. That got ugly in a hurry.

• 4 months later...

John your link is dead, but I'm with you about the wagon!

There has been an abundance of vintage wagons around here lately, so much so that a have been think I want one too. There is a 63 or 4 Rambler, a 67 or 8 Chevy B body, a ratty looking Pontiac from about the same year, and a 69 or 70 Cutlass Skyliner all cruising around town. Except for the poncho they're all gorgeous. I am particularly taken with the 58 Chevy Yeoman, that's a sexy wagon! Ah, I guess the Outback will have to do for now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday's inspection: When he's not flying our latest fighter, he's driving one of these. Name it -

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116764434_IMG_0511.jpg

72.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116764322_IMG_0510.jpg

63.99 KB

And, when bored with those two toys just kick back on your very own:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116764638_IMG_0506.jpg

53.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116765051_IMG_0507.jpg

62.31 KB

On top of all that, the gentleman built his own home from laying the brick to installing the roof, and it was amazing. Definitely an over-acheiver...

Life is good... [:-thumbu]