Top 10 list of mistakes writing HI narrative

As long as this topic is still running I'm going to mention one of my pet peeves (again). If I can assume HI's make the same mistakes in their reports that they make while posting on the internet, I offer this:

your - shows possession or ownership; not a contraction

you're - a contraction of "you are"

These terms are not interchangable. When in doubt simply try "you are" in that spot. If it makes no sense, as in "Have you are carpenter add the proper braces", it's the other one.

Brian G.

If You're Posts Look Like This, Your Driving Me Nuts! [:-dev3][:D][:-dev3]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I'm glad I can help stimulate discussion on writing! Good point about you're vs. your. It's vs. its is another problem area. Just say "it is" in the sentence. If "it is" makes sense, then you can use "it's." Otherwise, it is "its": "It's (It is) great that you guys like learning about writing."

I'm willing to entertain the idea of leading a sort of class, perhaps with my book as a text. Let's imagine there would be 10 people in a "class." My book has seven main chapters. We could focus on one chapter a week for seven weeks. I could give you a short writing assignment on a Monday, due on a Wednesday. Then you would e-mail me and all the other students your writing assignment. You would use MS Word. There's a feature called Track Changes, where you can show your edits (I can tell you more about that later). Each of you would read the other students' work and edit if necessary. Then you will send me (and the original writer) your edited version by Friday. I will then post comments and answer any individual questions you have. Then we would move on to the next topic. We could certainly change around this idea if this doesn't suit everyone's taste. These are just ideas.

Someone would have to create a new forum area I think (I'm not very technically oriented, so I'm not sure how that would work). Or we could just work by e-mail.

There would be some cost involved, but it would be reasonable.

Bonnie

Hey!

Naturally I'm on board! Where the heck else am I gonna go? I haven't been able to figure out how to unlock the tether anchoring me to this site for 5 years now, so I really don't have any choice. Besides, if it'll help me figure out how to punctuate in English again, it'll be worth it.

OT - OF!!!

M.