Top 10 list of mistakes writing HI narrative

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bought a copy of the "Handbook of Technical Writing" eighth addition by authors Gerald J. Alfred, Charles T. Brusaw and Walter E. Oliu published by St Martin's press. I really like its style and the way it's laid out for referencing. Its one of those books for me anyways that no matter what page I randomly flip to there is something interesting.

The Alan Carson article was interesting and I have read it several times. When Jim Morrision said to only provide useful information at first that seemed like well duh but I didn't understand what that meant at the time.

Another interesting thing that this book goes into is oral presentations something that I have not really put attention to. I know I have a lot to improve on in that area and it occured to be that the oral presentation could become a good way to differentiate and market yourself as much as the inspection report. The Carson article touched on it.

Chris, Oregon

• 3 weeks later...

Some years back, Charlie Wood -- one of my early HI mentors and possibly the most savvy man ever in the HI biz -- hired me to edit/re-write 10,000 boilerplate comments in his then-company's "comment library." My mission was to get rid of the sub-standard stuff, to write copy that couldn't be misunderstood, and so cut down on customer claims that were caused by bad writing.

Here's some of the stuff I remember from that job:

*The "it's screwed bad but it's OK" doubletalk description.

Many words that tried to convince a reader that the HI has made a thorough evaluation and found a house part to be defective, but not so defective as to need any fixing. (The heinous word "monitor" was used a lot.)

*The Guru

The Guru writes endless yammer meant to make the reader believe that the HI/writer is the smartest man in the world.

*Infinitely Generic

One description started with something like, "The home is a lakefront/oceanfront/riverfront dwelling..." Such writing pretty much proves that the writer is incapable of independent thought.

*Passive Voice

Evil is what is caused by passive voice. Cowards are those who use passive voice. And they sound like Yoda.

*Appears To Be

My favorite: "Plumbing appears to be copper." Why not just say, "Visible plumbing is copper."

*Starting a recommendation with the word, "recommend."

As in, "Recommend servicing of A/C unit." Taken literally, that means the reader should recommend the servicing. It's lazy, sloppy writing.

*"Required."

HIs write something like, "Replacing the furnace is required." Well, no, it's not required. It might need to be done, but it's not required. Nobody kicks down your door if you don't replace your furnace. "Mandatory" is another HI favorite, which is also always wrong.

*"Illegal."

"The water heater installation is illegal." Now the HI's the sheriff...

There's so much more. Later, we'll talk about non-sequiturs and logical breakdowns.

As you was,

WJ

Brother Katen wrote:

Yes, Walter recommends the "Chicago Manual of Style" (not nearly as entertaining as Strunk & White in my opinion) and James Kilpatrick's "The Writer's Art." I've never read that book, but I used to read the newspaper columns that the book comprises. Kilpatrick's good.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I say:

I amend my comments on the CMS. It's pretty much necessary for newspaper writers (which includes me), but not so useful for HIs. Strunk is better.

"The Writer's Art," however, is the best book of its kind, IMHO. Educational, and a great read.

WJ

Yes,

A warm welcome to TIJ, WJ. Glad to see you stopping by. Come back often!

For those of you who don't know Mr. Jowers, pay attention to what he tells you about report writing and word usage, 'cuz he's got some incredible skills in that area.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by charlieb

Welcome WJ,

Did Sonofswamp come before or after rabbit skinner?

I was born SonOfSwamp. Took me a while to work my way up to rabbit skinner. That title comes from the true story of me trying to get a job in a rabbit-processing plant. Long story short, I was overqualified, and they turned me down.

WJ

A man who could not get a job skinning rabbits.

I've heard a lot about you, read your columns and laughed at your humor, but this is the first time I've seen any proof that you exist.

Nice to meet you. Well, sort of meet you.

In 1995 I was fixin' to in install my first flat seam copper roof. I read an old issue of JLC ( when they were good) from around 1988 and read an article on terne coated steel roofing. I called a "Walter Jowers" (I had no idea the guy was a hotshot) from Tennessee and left a message asking for advice and never received a return call. So, if you get the message now, don't bother calling back, the roof is done.

Welcome to the board.

Hello all. It's been a while...

I've been waiting to hear the status of my InspectionWorld proposal. Declined. Oh well.

I do have news, though. You can read some more of my writing wisdom starting the end of August. I'm the new grammar columnist for Writer's Digest Magazine, a mag. for writers. I address home inspectors in my article for the October issue (out Aug 21). I hope you'll read it!

How's the writing life going?

Bonnie

Declined. Arrrrrrgghh!

Well, it is nice of you to check on us. I see where that magazine offers a freebie, so if I were a cheap s.o.b., when would I put in that request?

Our work increases with nice weather, so if we're lucky it's been pretty busy. (Today is my second day off in the past six.)

I look forward to your article. Thanks for writing about us - or should I curse you because you used us as examples of how not to write?

Hi. Go for the freebie, of course.

It's 104 today where I am, so I pity Phoenix-based home inspectors!

Don't worry. I was nice in my article.

Originally posted by ozofprev

Declined. Arrrrrrgghh!

Well, it is nice of you to check on us. I see where that magazine offers a freebie, so if I were a cheap s.o.b., when would I put in that request?

Our work increases with nice weather, so if we're lucky it's been pretty busy. (Today is my second day off in the past six.)

I look forward to your article. Thanks for writing about us - or should I curse you because you used us as examples of how not to write?

Hi Bonnie,

Glad to see that you are back. As for IW and the selection process, this year they had over 125 submittals to fill around 35 slots. As a former Education Committee chair, this was the most difficult part of the job. One thing I can tell you is that several folks dropout and can't make the commitment for whatever reason. Then it is replacement time. I would say that on the average 3-5 folks dropout every year and need replacing. I would send a second note to the ED director Michale Long at ASHI saying that you are willing to fill in any open spot, that is if your are willing to do so.

Hi,

This is interesting. I just noticed that in just a little bit over 5 months, this topic has had nearly 4,000 views. That's huge. Our oldest topic, after 5 years has been viewed less than 30,000 and the next topic to that only 12,000.

Apparently, there's a tremendous amount of interest in this topic.

Hmmm,

OT - OF!!!

M.

Nothing to do with home inspection, Mike. I've sold two teleplays that weren't produced to a now-defunct drama series on television, and I currently have a feature-film screenplay optioned through my LA agent.

Fiction is what I love, though. A couple of years ago, I worked on a novel for nearly six months with a brilliant editor at a major publishing house. Ultimately, however, we were unable to convince her superiors that the thing would generate what they felt were adequate revenues. I'm presently working on another novel, one that hopefully will be seen as more palatable to the masses.

Chris and Phillip,

I'm with ya!! Like Mike said, this is an extremely popular topic.

You know what????

I think it would make an excellent topic for a presentation at IW? It might even be the most attended presentation ever. What do you think? Great idea, isn't it?

The best report writing seminar I've seen is Mark Cramer's. My chapter flew him to NE a bunch of years ago for a half day class, and it was very, very good. When discussing politics, his views should be summarily dismissed, but this man can teach a home inspector to write, and that's saying something. Find him and learn from him.