Top 10 list of mistakes writing HI narrative

Originally posted by Scottpat

. . . Hey, I don't make ASHI policy. I'm just reporting what I know. As I stated one might be able to get around it.

I don't blame you. It's just a dumb policy.

From a logical point of view, if an education program that is for profit is endorsed by ASHI for CE hours for its membership then logically attendance will increase and the provider will make more money.

The providers don't pay the ASHI extortion fee; the students do through higher fees. This is basic economics.

Charging providers to gain CE approval is stupid (Randy, don't let your kids read this) and mercenary. It provides no substantial benefit to ASHI and it smacks of pride.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the way I see it.

If ASHI insists on extorting money from education providers, by holding back CEU's from its members, then the providers will simply go to the other associations and obtain CEU endorsement for free. ASHI will end up being odd man out, thinking that its done something clever while its members are asking themselves what they're paying dues for if their association is still stuck in a mid-20th century mentality.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yeah, you're right Bonnie (Of course you are!). I went back and fixed it.

I do it all the time but it's not that I don't know which is which. It's that I type pretty fast and sort of unconsciously slam whatever sound comes into my head onto the paper. It's second nature and I usually have to go back through my reports and correct it. I do the same thing with their and they're. I mean to type they're (they are), but I'm typing so fast that I just type what comes naturally and the possessive 'their' is what comes out. For instance, whenever I'm on a roll and mean to say 'ours' I'll often type 'hours'. It's like I've got a screwed up voice recognition program in my head that's attached to my fingers. I think I could learn to stop most of it if I could learn not to type with contractions, but I bet I'd still plug in other synonyms anyway.

What's funny is that back in the day I'd sit there typing investigative summaries late at night, when I'd pull a 24 hour watch as duty investigator, get drowsy and nod off at my Underwood, typing whatever came into my head as I dozed off. That'd happen all night long - hour after hour. Sometimes I wouldn't proofread my stuff very carefully and the PM would call me in the next morning and ask me to explain stuff that I'd typed that made absolutely no sense.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Here's the way I see it.

If ASHI insists on extorting money from education providers, by holding back CEU's from its members, then the providers will simply go to the other associations and obtain CEU endorsement for free. ASHI will end up being odd man out, thinking that its done something clever while its members are asking themselves what they're paying dues for if their association is still stuck in a mid-20th century mentality.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yup.

Calling Mr Leslie VanAlstine, Mr Brad Manor, Mr Jim Morrison and Mr Chad Fabry! And two other willing participants!

I hope you had a great three-day weekend (assuming you didn't work).

May I remind you that starting a week from today is the first Sentence Sleuth Writing Workshop, starring... YOU! (And me, a little.)

We need you to sign up in the Sentence Sleuth forum area. It's just $125 for seven weeks of luscious learning. I promise it won't be dull.

DevWave is making it easy for you by allowing you to pay by credit card. Thanks, DevWave!

I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Bonnie, AKA The Sentence Sleuth

Hi All,

Don't know if any of you noticed, but this thread became the basis for an article in this month's issue of Working RE which is put out by our sponsor OREP.

For those of you who have member's access to their website, here 'tis! http://www.workingre.com/mms/writing-is-hard.asp

Otherwise, you can read it in Working RE.

Oh, and Bonnie, The Curious Case got mentioned too.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hello from Bonnie.

Several guys have said that time is a problem for them, and that's why they can't sign up for the class. I imagine it would take students 30 to 60 minutes a day. That's not that much time. Watch one less sitcom or skip the sports section? Do your lesson on the john? Possible?

Would you prefer not to study for seven weeks but some other time frame, such as one month? I want to make this accessible to everyone with the least amount of headaches for everyone, so I'm asking you all to please let me know what changes to my suggested curriculum you want.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to be light-heartedly correcting you all soon!

• 1 month later...

Hello Bonnie! I was in the class of 1984. I see that you have found a welcome home here at TIJ. I've been on a several-month haitus from the message boards and I'm just now catching up.

I'm curious. How did you find your way here? Are you like me, and were you a moth in a previous life? In this life I seem to be inexplicably drawn to bright lights -- and TIJ seems to have some of the brightest around. Or maybe it's the odd collection of goofballs...

Brandon

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

Hi Brandon and others who want to write better reports.

I'm Bonnie Trenga, author of "The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier," a book you seemed to have enjoyed and mentioned in a post here. I noticed you were a Cornellian. Me too. Class of 1991. You?

Anyway, if any inspectors would like to chat about writing or grammar, please e-mail me at curiouscase@hotmail.com or post a note here.

Thanks, Bonnie

Yeah, you're right Bonnie (Of course you are!). I went back and fixed it.

I do it all the time but it's not that I don't know which is which. It's that I type pretty fast and sort of unconsciously slam whatever sound comes into my head onto the paper. It's second nature and I usually have to go back through my reports and correct it. I do the same thing with their and they're. I mean to type they're (they are), but I'm typing so fast that I just type what comes naturally and the possessive 'their' is what comes out. For instance, whenever I'm on a roll and mean to say 'ours' I'll often type 'hours'.

I find this fascinating. Seriously. A lot of people do what you describe. Usually, when I make a typing error, I type in a random word that has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. Funny how the brain works.

Question: Do you look at the keyboard when you type, or do you look at the screen?

WJ

Originally posted by Brandon Chew

Hello Bonnie! I was in the class of 1984. I see that you have found a welcome home here at TIJ. I've been on a several-month haitus from the message boards and I'm just now catching up.

I'm curious. How did you find your way here? Are you like me, and were you a moth in a previous life? In this life I seem to be inexplicably drawn to bright lights -- and TIJ seems to have some of the brightest around. Or maybe it's the odd collection of goofballs...

Brandon

Hi Brandon and others who want to write better reports.

I'm Bonnie Trenga, author of "The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier," a book you seemed to have enjoyed and mentioned in a post here. I noticed you were a Cornellian. Me too. Class of 1991. You?

Anyway, if any inspectors would like to chat about writing or grammar, please e-mail me at curiouscase@hotmail.com or post a note here.

Thanks, Bonnie

Hey Brandon. I just Googled myself and the TIJ forum was one of the hits. I think this is a fascinating place, and I'm happy that you inspector dudes want to improve your writing! I, too, enjoy the goofy guys. They seem to have an excellent sense of humor.

Brandon, in case you didn't know, there's a new area of the forum, called Ask the Sentence Sleuth (me), where you can ask a writing-related question. Hope to see you there for some face time.

Been back to Ithaca lately? I last went a couple years ago.

Son of Swamp (what the heck does that name mean, anyway?), I don't think how you type matters; just how you proofread. Be suspicious of everything. That's how I find errors. You guys must take the same tack when you're checking a house. You don't assume everything is fine with the house, right? Same with writing. Assume it's wrong, and many times you'll be right.

Hi Walter,

I look at the screen. Hell, if I looked at the keyboard, I wouldn't know here to find anything. I know exactly where the G and the H keys are. Once I place my hands on either side of those, I just take off.

One thing I really wish I could train myself to do, though, is to use the shortcut keys the way you do. I still only know a couple. There should be a shortcut key typing course like the Mavis Beacon course, so that old farts like myself can learn that stuff and wean ourselves away from the mouse.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hi Walter,

I look at the screen. Hell, if I looked at the keyboard, I wouldn't know here to find anything. I know exactly where the G and the H keys are. Once I place my hands on either side of those, I just take off.

One thing I really wish I could train myself to do, though, is to use the shortcut keys the way you do. I still only know a couple. There should be a shortcut key typing course like the Mavis Beacon course, so that old farts like myself can learn that stuff and wean ourselves away from the mouse.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Well, that goes my little theory. I was thinking that looking at the screen would prompt a keyboarder to see the mistakes and fix them in real time. I figured keyboard-lookers wouldn't notice the mistakes hidden under their fingertips.

As for keyboard shortcuts: you can find them in Windows help, or just Google them. Learn one at a time, starting with the ones that move the cursor a word at a time, a line at a time, a paragraph at a time. The shortcuts shave a whole lot of time off typing...

Use the arrow keys for scrolling. Faster, and better for your wrists/fingers.

WJ

Hey Brandon. I just Googled myself and the TIJ forum was one of the hits. I think this is a fascinating place, and I'm happy that you inspector dudes want to improve your writing! I, too, enjoy the goofy guys. They seem to have an excellent sense of humor.

Brandon, in case you didn't know, there's a new area of the forum, called Ask the Sentence Sleuth (me), where you can ask a writing-related question. Hope to see you there for some face time.

You'll likely see me there asking questions at some point. When it comes to writing, I'm triple-challenged: inspector, engineer, and ex-gubmint bureaucrat! [:-shake]

WJ - your theory works for me. I watch the screen while I type and I frequently hit the backspace key to correct my mistakes on the fly.

Be suspicious of everything. That's how I find errors. You guys must take the same tack when you're checking a house. You don't assume everything is fine with the house, right? Same with writing. Assume it's wrong, and many times you'll be right.

Very good advice, and an even better analogy.

Brian G.

So Who Are These "Goofy Guys" You Mentioned? [:-clown][:o)][:-jester]

Les always has something silly to say.

Les dreams about being me one day. [:D]

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do in the writing class.

I'm about halfway through your book. Between what's in there and what you've posted here, it's amazing how perfectly it meshes with the writing philosophies I've learned from the veterans here (and at ASHI). At first I wasn't sure. We've had a lot of various knotheads wander through here, only looking to make a quick buck from us, but at this point I'm convinced you care as much about your profession as we care about ours.

Salute!

Brian G.

They Who Don't Give a Damn Ain't Worth a Damn [:-mischie

• 2 weeks later...