Looking for stats to put together a plan

cguffin

I am working on a business plan and would appreciate any information you would be willing to provide relating to these questions.

• How many inspections per year do you average
  • What is the population of the area that you cover
  • Do you refer other inspectors work that you can not or do not want to do
  • How many inspections per year do you turn down or refer to others

Hope I am not coming off as nosy! I am just trying to work the numbers.

Thanks,

Craig[:-banghea

I stand corrected

Originally posted by cguffin

I am working on a business plan and would appreciate any information you would be willing to provide relating to these questions.

How many inspections per year do you average

250-300.

What is the population of the area that you cover

The three counties in which I do most of my inspections total about 1.3 million residents.

Do you refer other inspectors work that you can not or do not want to do

Yes. But I only refer to a select few.

How many inspections per year do you turn down or refer to others

A few dozen each year.

Now understand that things are changing and the answers I gave you above will certainly be different if you ask again in a year. This year is shaping up to be much slower than in years past.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Now understand that things are changing and the answers I gave you above will certainly be different if you ask again in a year. This year is shaping up to be much slower than in years past.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

Real Estate around here is moving pretty slow also. I don't believe the bottom will drop out but I do think we will see it stabilize as a buyers market for the next 2-3 years for sure.

I also think that guy’s like yourself that are already established professionals won’t see to much of a change but fellers like myself are going to have to prove our worth pretty quick if we want to do this full time.

Craig

I relocated this past July. I had been established in a market for about twelve years before my move. I would average about 250-300,just like Jim.

Your first year you should be in the 75 to 100 inspection range. It should just about double by your second to third year. I'm seeing this in my numbers after my relocation. But then I have also moved in to a much larger and wealthier market.

Originally posted by cguffin

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

Real Estate around here is moving pretty slow also. I don't believe the bottom will drop out but I do think we will see it stabilize as a buyers market for the next 2-3 years for sure.

I also think that guy’s like yourself that are already established professionals won’t see to much of a change but fellers like myself are going to have to prove our worth pretty quick if we want to do this full time.

Craig

Craig,

In my market area usually all you have to do to prove your worth is work cheap.

Regards,

Paul B.

Serving Metro Atlanta

Craig,

Scott's numbers are pretty accurate. When we add a new inspector, we shoot for 150 the first year, but remember this is a multi-inspector office so we can pass off inspections fairly easy. 90% of our appointments are very specific about who they want to do the inspection.

As time passes, I personally will only inspect for someone I know. We receive referrals from 4-5 other inspectors when the job is unique; old, big, legal, commercial, etc..

I don't want to sound like PollyAnna, but only do good work, regardless of the numbers.

The real estate market is not going to be good anywhere this year, except a very few small markets. You can't gauge the market by your numbers; you must look at the total number of units inspected, not sold and that number is very difficult to find!

Become very familiar with Brian Hannigan's work and modify it to your own particular situation.

I performed my 1st and 2nd inspections almost a year ago on 27 Feb 2006 and today I will perform my 171st inspection. I spent maybe 6 months before that getting everything set up. I have refered maybe 5-6 inspection for loghomes, earth homes, trailers, and a few times when I've been too busy. So far this year business has been pretty good, for the past 2 weeks I have had 8 inspection each and I have 4 lined up so far for this week (as of Monday morning). If I did not have my military retirement pay and some other sources of income I would not have made it, but I do and I did, and the future is looking bright. I really love this profession, but my wife hates it cuz there is not a steady pay check.

I see your only a few hours west of me, I work the MetroEast area just outside St. Louis in Illinois, around Belleville. Good luck.

I see your only a few hours west of me, I work the MetroEast area just outside St. Louis in Illinois, around Belleville. Good luck.

Mark A. Perry

Yes, I have been in that area a time or two attending training seminars.

Thanks a bunch for all the useful info... helps a great deal and shows the caliber of people that frequent TIJ.

Craig