Roof Descent Record

I just wanted you all to know that I am claiming the TIJ record for the fastest descent from a roof.

I was inspecting a low sloped roof and lifted up the shingles at a dripedge to find a ticked off group of yellow jackets nesting under the shingles. Needless to say a hundred or so angry bees came barreling at me. I ran to the other side of the roof and may have touched a rung of the ladder on the way down (not completely sure it happened so fast). I flew (maybe literally) across the driveway and jumped into my truck and rolled up the window as fast as I could while killing the couple of bees stuck to my clothing........just another day in the home inspection business.

PS: I haven't checked my shorts yet.

Stupid me, I found an interesting bush stump riddled with holes next to a house I was inspecting so I nudged it with my foot and it felt loose so I leveraged out of the ground with my foot and the second I flipped it I was stung on the wrist by a yellow jacket and I took off out of there with the afterburners on with a bunch in tow but I out ran them.

I started swelling up but not enough to go to the hospital. I won't be nudging interesting stumps again.

Chris, Oregon

You just gave me an idea for safety. Before I get too comfortable and start sticking my hand where I cant see, I'll bang on the roof or gutter and wait for a reaction. You know, knock on the door before barging in so to speak.

I do that when I am delivering mail and have to walk into a fenced yard. Kick the gate, "here fido", whistle a bit, then wait a few seconds before entering.

I got a free valley ride last week. It was a new metal roof with one valley; about 15 feet long, medium pitch. When I arrived the sky was gearing up to rain, so I hot-tailed it up to the roof. I wasn't planning on try to get up the valley, but then I saw what looked like significant mortar loss on the chimney just past the top, so I figured out how to scurry up there for a closer look. I made it, took two photos, and the bottom fell out of the ole' rain bucket. By the time I could put the camera away and turn around the whole roof was wet. As I put my foot down for the second time the world went into fast-forward...whoosh! I wound up with a few nasty scratches and a tiny plug of flesh missing from one elbow. Not bad, considering. The soaking wet butt bothered me more than the minor wounds. [:-crazy]

Brian G.

Wild Valley Rider [:-cowboy]

I should probably object to Brandon's claiming of the "Fastest Roof Descent Record" and insist he call it "Fastest Controlled Roof Descent Record. I claim the "Fastest Uncontrolled Roof Descent Record." 1-1/2 stories in less than 2 seconds and 5 broken ribs, a punctured lung and almost 2-weeks in the hospital. .[:-angel]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Two years ago, I feel 25 feet and landed on my back. Nothing below me but concrete. I belive G-D picked me up and put me about 10 feet away in the neighbors yard, in the grass. I left an imprint like the one at the Bates Motel in the lawn.

I felt ok... considering what just happened. But decided to play it safe and get checked out. A few lung contusions, but all else intact. They wanted to keep me for observations, I refused. After leaving the hospital, I drove to S.Carolina... picked up my new car carrier, and drove back.

It hurt like hell when I coughed, sneezing was even worse.

Back in 1986 when I was an Ironworker I fell 35-37 feet onto concrete slab. I kept saying up up and away-didn't work. After I hit the ground I felt okay and thought gee I 'm tougher than I thought! I figured I would climb back up on the steel and tell the guys at lunch That I fell off the building. Took about 3 steps than the pain came.Talk about delayed reaction. I was wrong about the tough part. Fell down,looked a my boots and saw bone's sticking through the leather boots-yike! Hospital for a month-two crushed heels,broken bones in feet and broken back and many broken ribs.

John C

OK...So it's not really the topic, but I have an entry in the "falling off the roof Olympics." I have one of those telescoping ladders. On a job a few years ago I had it at full extension and it barely hit the fascia. I know...it's not safe. Spare me the lecture. Anyway, I did not bother to verify that all sections were locked. Strike two. Those of you with similar ladders can probably guess what's coming next. I got to the TOP RUNG and the top most section collapsed. Since the ladder was already barely on the fascia, when it collapsed it swung in, towards the home. One foot was already on the next-to-top rung, so there was no way to stay there. I would have been left hanging upside down, trapped against the home. At best. Think gravity boots...without the Velcro straps.

The funny thing was that I miraculously had the presence of mind to remember that on one side of my ladder base was a set of concrete steps. The other side harbored the A/C condensing unit. Didn't want to land on either of those! So as the ladder collapsed, I was somehow able to remember all this, jump off backward in a twisting motion, and land on all fours...smacking my forehead bigtime. Right in front of the Realtor. Only injuries were a broken toe, bloody forehead, and damaged pride. But then again, there wasn't much of that (pride) to begin with. I think the agent suffered a more serious injury than me. Technically, it's called "busting a gut" due to laughing. Me? I didn't lose a day of work. But I learned to check my ladder.

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Looks like I only have the TIJ statewide record descent---- anyone else? I will keep the TIJ controlled descent record for now.

Hot, humid, overcast day. Looked like it might rain. Just as I got onto the farmhouse roof, lightning hit an outbuilding about 35' away. My hair stood out straight and I smelled it before it flashed and boomed.

I came down holding the side rails with only my hands, never touching a rung. Client said I looked like I was in a cartoon.

Tornado weather and rain. I finally got a break in the weather where I could get on the roof. My client and his Friend was listening to the fire department radio and there was talk about an tornado in the area. One of them yell there it is. I looked up and there it was headed toward us. I don't remember using the ladder.

The tornado came up the hill and lifted before it got to us.