Supply pressure too high

John Dirks Jr

That is a real tricky question. Most water providers are commissions or boards, sometimes authorities. They will usually have very limited responsibility. That said, they are selling a product and that product must meet a serviceability or use criteria. Reasonable expectation. They must either claim exemption as a public service or waiver it in the terms of service agreement.

Either way, the user is likely the responsible party. Of course the real question is how much pressure is the house designed to safely use. Anyone know?

Originally posted by AHI

Consider the supply pressure is way too high and the house is on city water. Does the responsibility to control the pressure fall on the home owner or the jurisdiction providing the service?

In every instance that I have seen it is the homeowners or builders responsibility.

In the metro area I see a PRV in almost all houses that are 25 - 30 years old or less.

The ones over 30 years old don't have them but usually need them.

Without the PRV 100 - 120 psi is common for my area of the country. I say something like:

The water pressure is beyond the normal range of 40 - 80# psi. High pressure will put stress on joints, valves, and faucets which can lead to leaks. I recommend review by a licensed plumber before closing for installation or adjustment of the pressure regulator valve.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Paul,

Are you sure it's pressure that's low and not low volume. They have a far smaller inside diameter than 1/2 inch copper or galvanized pipe, so flow is going to be restricted.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Could be Mike I never considered about that.

Maybe some sharp plumbers out there can elaborate on pressure restriction of PB versus COPPER, CPVC and PEX.

I heard on news today that PB is still causing home owners problems and their class action warranties have expired. My daughter just bought a home with expired warranty on PB. I told Her it could cost her probably $5,000 to replace it and she negotiated a price reduction for that amount plus a few other concessions. Naturally I inspected the home for free so I think She came out OK.

Paul B.