Clump O' Neutrals

Jerry Simon

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Comments...?

Whatever connector they used is almost certainly not rated for that number of conductors and probably not that size of conductor.

With the neutrals all bundled together like that, an electrician won't be able to isolate a individual circuit without disassembling all the rest of them first.

The installation is wrong with sugar on top.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Neal Lewis

Is there any other modern breaker compatible with those old Wadsworth panels?

Probably. A few companies make something called "classified breakers." These are breakers that one company makes to fit a different company's panels. The manufacturer pays to get the breaker UL listed for use in the other panel. I'll bet that someone makes classified breakers to fit Wadsworth equipment.

Even if there isn't, there's a good used breaker market out there. This panel isn't rare enough for breaker replacement to be an issue.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Wow...someone sure went to a lot of trouble to connect all of those neutrals together instead of using a proper terminal bar. Who in the heck would install a panel on the floor? You'd think that would violate the NEC since it can be a hazard to work on it. The electrician would have to lay on the floor or squat down on his knees and bend over which can present a shock hazard. There are only max height requirements, but not min requirements? Nuts.

Definitely NOT professional.

Originally posted by hausdok

Jerry,

I've been meaning to ask; is it actually on the floor or is that a shelf built around/under the panel that someone's covered with tile?

OT - OF!!!

M.

I didn't think anyone would believe it isn't on the floor, but it isn't. It's right above a garage workbench; the top of the bench covered with floor tiles. With the shoes nearby, again, didn't think I'd be believed. Heck, looking at the picture, I'm starting to wonder...

By the way, Mr. Katen, I stole some of your words. I wrote in my report "the neutrals are wrong for all sorts of reasons, with sugar on it". Gonna use the sugar comment again. It's funny, yet speaks volumes. Thanks.