Mother-Son Team Lays It On a Little Thick

hausdok

Speaking of Amerispec, here's an oldie but a goodie. The local franchise used to include this gem as a cover letter with each inspection report.

* * * A REAL ESTATE AGENT * * *

The responsibilities and efforts of a Realtor go far beyond the obvious tasks of writing advertisements, holding open houses, showing properties, and preparing contracts. In fact, everyday Realtors are helping people like yourself to achieve the ultimate dream of owning their own home.

The professional services of a Realtor include: a) absolute fidelity towards protecting and promoting the interests of their clients; b) shielding the public against fraud and misrepresentation; c) keeping informed of laws and regulations affecting the real estate industry; and d) keeping current on all the financing alternatives that might best serve the needs of sellers and buyers.

A Realtor does all this and much more in order to promote a successful business transaction and one which is smooth and headache-free for you. A Realtor invests countless hours behind the scenes, coordinating details with AmeriSpec home inspectors and a host of other people, many of whom you never see, to help your transaction run smoothly. A Realtor has worked very hard to help you in this transaction by maintaining the standards of an industry professional.

Please remember the professional Realtor who has assisted you in this transaction when it comes time for you, or someone you know, to sell or purchase a home.

( cutouts here for the realtor to insert his business card )

* * * Copyright 1992 AmeriSpec, Inc.

Unfortunately, in Illinois training is not required to become a home inspector. All you have to do is pass a test and you are considered a home inspector.

Whereas, mom and son spent a whole entire week learning the finer aspects of house inspectin':

Amerispec Training

The younger Webb said during a home inspection the bathroom faucet, shower, and toilet are all flushed at the same time in order to determine water flow and any associated problems.

I have to admit, I’m sometimes pretty lax about remembering to flush the faucet and shower.

We also take the panels off of the electrical service to check for any potential problems.

“Take the panels off of the electrical service?â€

"Whereas, mom and son spent a whole entire week learning the finer aspects of house inspectin':

Amerispec Training "

With all due respect, the training at AmeriSpec (was) top notch. Bill Ross (now with AHIT I believe) was my instructor and he knew his stuff. Tech support was also pretty good.

(Damn, did I just say that? After I didn't renew my agreement with them I was told to forget those years and keep my mouth shut).

Darren

Originally posted by Darren

"Whereas, mom and son spent a whole entire week learning the finer aspects of house inspectin':

Amerispec Training "

With all due respect, the training at AmeriSpec (was) top notch. Bill Ross (now with AHIT I believe) was my instructor and he knew his stuff. Tech support was also pretty good.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of that training, but the quantity, tied to the ludicrous statement by the Webbs that they bough the franchise becaue there were no trained inspectors, implying that their one week of training makes them more qualified than their competitors.

As funny as the whole article is...

EG: "We also have a computerized tool (that I don't actually know the name of) that can detect moisture levels inside a home. If there is a water stain on a ceiling, I can hold up the meter (anywhere, I think?) and (by magic) it will detect whether the water stain is old or whether there is moisture in the attic. (It's a really cool looking gizmo and I can't wait to use it for the first time.)â€

I WAS just going to read y'alls comments and laugh but I couldn't resist clicking on the link after reading all your comments.

Good god, are they really doing inspections.

We are certified and trained and perform a 400-point inspection, which can mean we inspect as many as 1,000 things during one inspection.

After reading the article all I can say is "let the buyer beware" as it is one of the poorest written and seriously misleading I have ever seen - they should be embarrassed. Loved Katen's contribution as we "had" one Amerispec franchise owner here that was literally run out of business for poor business practices - last word was that he was a financial advisor in another part of the State. I wonder if he took a different course from Service Master?