Annoying ceiling fan remote control

Bonnie Trenga

Hi, guys. It's been a while since I've posted anything, so I thought I'd ask you about something annoying in my house.

Our guest bedroom has a ceiling fan that has a remote controller. If I want to go in the room and turn on the light switch, it doesn't turn the light on. I have to press the buttons on the remote controller several times until it goes on. I can then turn off the light with the light switch, but if I want it on again I have to press the remote controller buttons several times. Is there an easy way for us to fix this or do we need a new switch/ceiling fan?

Hi Bonnie!

Hey Teach, how's it going? We've missed you in here.

Sorry I can't help with your overhead fan question. Truth is, I don't see many of those things here, so I'm not as familiar with how they work as I'd like to be. Chris Prickett - the guy in the funny pictures on another thread - is from your area, though. I bet he knows.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Bonnie,

First off, it sounds like an older wall switch that is only providing power to the unit and probably only has one hot wire (originally for a ceiling light). You probably couldn't just install a new dual function switch without running some addittional wiring, and the ease of that would depend on access.

Having said that, I find it a little "odd" that turning off power at the wall switch and then turning it back on again doesn't just return to the previous settings. I imagine that has to do with the fan's circuitry. Let's assume that can't be changed...

The easiest option might be a new fan. Many now come with "remote" style wall switches that don't require re-wiring. Alternatively, you might be able to electrically separate the light from the existing fan and change the way the light works from the wall switch but that would likely involve pulling some new wire and installing a double wall switch.

And then...maybe someone just installed the darn thing wrong!

Sorry, but tough to really say what's going on without seeing the wiring and reading the manual.

Hi, guys. It's been a while since I've posted anything, so I thought I'd ask you about something annoying in my house.

Our guest bedroom has a ceiling fan that has a remote controller. If I want to go in the room and turn on the light switch, it doesn't turn the light on. I have to press the buttons on the remote controller several times until it goes on. I can then turn off the light with the light switch, but if I want it on again I have to press the remote controller buttons several times.

If the remote controlled switch is relayed (likely if it's more than 6 or 7 years old) when you turn off the light switch and cut power to the fan/light assembly, the relay will default to the open or "off" position

Multiple button pressing, like WJ said, is part of life these days.

Rewire like Richard said or get a fan w/ a pull chain to control the light.

I've told my self a dozen times "I've got to start reading his column"

A few excerpts and comments::

“The less stuff I have to keep up with, the better I feel. When I buy a two-pack of vacuum cleaner belts, I put one belt on the vacuum cleaner and throw the other one away. When I finish reading a book, I give it away.â€

Bonnie, this is the low tech method. Most fan remotes come with a wall mount cradle. Attach the cradle to the wall by the switch, leave the fan switch in the on position and press the remote switch to control the light rather than hunting down the remote.

Most newer fan/light combos default to the on position, so replacement with a newer model would be the next easiest fix.

Originally posted by inspector57

Bonnie, this is the low tech method. Most fan remotes come with a wall mount cradle. Attach the cradle to the wall by the switch, leave the fan switch in the on position and press the remote switch to control the light rather than hunting down the remote.

Most newer fan/light combos default to the on position, so replacement with a newer model would be the next easiest fix.

(Sorry, late to thread) What he said. I took it one step further because I have kids, and they can't grasp the phrase "Don't touch the #$@^**& switch!" I simply disconnected and bypassed the wall switch and use the remote in the cradle. The fan is a Hampton Bay and its two years old. The remote has had constant use and (so far) one touch is all it takes.

***Remember***

In the summer, set the fan to draw the warm air down from the ceiling. With virtually all fans, this is counter clockwise. This will provide a breeze and make the room feel about 5 degrees cooler. It will also keep the air circulating and minimize “hot spotsâ€

That's good advice about winter vs. summer usage. Since it's the guest room, almost no one is ever in it, so the fan is never on. We just want the light to work when we turn it on. Mounting the remote's cradle is a great idea!! Now what about the fact that I have to press the darn button six or seven times for it to work?

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by ozofprev

That is so friggin' cool! It's how parent-child relationships should all be.

Well, brother Oz, if you or any of the other brethren would like to read the published version of the story, it's here:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/C ... ndex.shtml

And attached is a pic of #17. Season starts in two weeks.

WJ

Image Insert:

200821474833_Jess_Jowers.jpg

27.84 KB

"Not found on this server"

• 3 months later...

Quote: Originally posted by ozofprev

That is so friggin' cool! It's how parent-child relationships should all be.

id="quoteN">

Well, brother Oz, if you or any of the other brethren would like to read the published version of the story, it's here:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/C ... ndex.shtml

And attached is a pic of #17. Season starts in two weeks.

WJ

Image Insert:

200821474833_Jess_Jowers.jpg

27.84 KB

Thank you for sharing! That is an awesome story!!!