Bathroom odor?

mridgeelk

I'm currently having my basement finished so's my elderly parents can get out of their crime-ridden neighborhood and move in with us.

One of the jobs that need to be done is to "push" all the DWV piping up to allow adequate headroom down there.

I'll show this photo to the plumbing contractor --- horizontal traps are certainly space savers!

Hi,

Not to get off on a tangent, but what's up with that sill; or is that a sill? I blew it up and it looks like it's just a stringer nailed to the underside of the joists. I can even see a butt end between two separate pieces of lumber. Where's the rim joist? The end of that joist is pretty dark too - as if it's soaking up moisture. Are those joists resting in pockets in the walls - what's up wid dat?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The exterior walls are cement blocks and the joists rest on them. It is not a sill. I think it was a board nailed to the joists to hold them as the blocks were laid.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Not to get off on a tangent, but what's up with that sill; or is that a sill? I blew it up and it looks like it's just a stringer nailed to the underside of the joists. I can even see a butt end between two separate pieces of lumber. Where's the rim joist? The end of that joist is pretty dark too - as if it's soaking up moisture. Are those joists resting in pockets in the walls - what's up wid dat?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Your suspicions are correct. Oddly enough just that one joist with deterioration. As far as the trap/code issue I think they are like boots, no need to print directions on the heel to empty the boot of water, it is a given.

Image Insert:

200832113596_Stucker%20Mesa%20II%20006.jpg

182.62 KB

Originally posted by ozofprev

I was wondering about that too, Mike.

Also, I'm curious... does the plumbing code state that a p-trap must be installed vertically???

But your honor, I followed the code.

Originally posted by mridgeelk

Your suspicions are correct. Oddly enough just that one joist with deterioration. As far as the trap/code issue I think they are like boots, no need to print directions on the heel to empty the boot of water, it is a given.

I agree, Ed, but I know people who would get a straw to drain that boot! And I know lawyers who would love to defend them after ingesting a parasite. (Hmm, that last sentence reminds me of Katen's kitchen sink write-up.)

Have you seen all those stickers on ladders? Some people only understand cartoon physics.

I won't fall if I don't look down.

Originally posted by ozofprev

I was wondering about that too, Mike.

Also, I'm curious... does the plumbing code state that a p-trap must be installed vertically???

But your honor, I followed the code.

P3205.1 . . . Traps shall be set true with respect to their water seals . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon