asbestos

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

It's kind of ironic that the label on the chimney violates the clearance to combustibles that it mandates.

John, if your question is should you urge your client to replace the chimney because it contains asbestos, my short answer is no.

Fun fact: For years, I enjoyed the irony of paper labels on B-vent. Then, one day, I called one of the companies that makes B-vent and asked 'em about it. They told me the labels were a "special paper."

Well, I smelled bullshift, so I "collected" a few labels, or pieces of labels, from old B-vent. I put these scraps into a cast iron skillet, and turned the heat way up.

The paper was special. It didn't burn. I think it's some kinda metallic something...

FWIW, I also tested some Glade Plug-Ins, to see how hot they had to get before the "scent" bag would burst into flames. My finding: around 120 degrees.

Do not try this at home.

WJid="blue">

FWIW, I also tested some Glade Plug-Ins, to see how hot they had to get before the "scent" bag would burst into flames. My finding: around 120 degrees.

Do not try this at home.

WJ[/blue]

Walter,

What did your house smell like after that experiment? Burnt flowers?

Frank

Originally posted by fqp25

Do not try this at home.

WJid="blue">

Walter,

What did your house smell like after that experiment? Burnt flowers?

Frank

More like industrial waste. If you're interested, the link below will take you to a reprint of my column on the subject:

http://www.aceweekly.com/Backissues_ACE ... 20502.html

WJ[/blue]

Metalbestos is a trade name, from 1930. The chimney is all metal, no bestos.

From the Metalbestos website:

1930 Diversification into rain gutters and other metal building products helped provide the resources for the companies’ first major industry innovation; a light weight metal chimney that could be used as a substitute for masonry brick chimneys for venting gas appliances. The term “Metalbestosâ€

If that ceiling tile contains asbestos; then I, along with 100's of thousands of office workers are in big trouble.

That's the type of ceiling tiles we installed in ALL of our commercial buildings.

The company I worked for had an agreement with USG to purchase X amount of tiles per year (style was 'Seacrest')

• 2 months later...

Good morning, SoOfSwamp:

Dude! I don’t know who you are, but anyone who likes to blow stuff up and set fire to things (strictly for science, of course) is a pal of mine.

I read your article- that was funny. I too recruit my family members for specific scientific tasks – most of whom are still alive.

In any event, in reading your article, I was perplexed by the magical web page you created. When I grabbed the slider bar on the side, and moved it down, the page moved down, indicating that the one was going from the top to the bottom – but the words on the printed page were simultaneously moving from the bottom to the top!

Dude! Explain that, cuz it’s early for me to get a drink and figure it out.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Originally posted by Caoimhín P. Connell

Good morning, SoOfSwamp:

Dude! I don’t know who you are, but anyone who likes to blow stuff up and set fire to things (strictly for science, of course) is a pal of mine.

I read your article- that was funny. I too recruit my family members for specific scientific tasks – most of whom are still alive.

In any event, in reading your article, I was perplexed by the magical web page you created. When I grabbed the slider bar on the side, and moved it down, the page moved down, indicating that the one was going from the top to the bottom – but the words on the printed page were simultaneously moving from the bottom to the top!

Dude! Explain that, cuz it’s early for me to get a drink and figure it out.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Hello back atcha. That's a page from Ace Weekly, an alternative newsweekly up in Kentucky. They ran my "Helter Shelter" column for a couple years. Apparently, their webmaster at the time was, uh, experimenting. With something...

Anyhow, thanks for going to the trouble of reading the story.

WJ