Leather walls

StevenT

I inspected a home yesterday that is probably the most interesting than I have ever been in.

Image Insert:

2008112117551_IMG_6028M.jpg

74.68 KB

Built in the 1880's, it belonged to the Krieschler family... they made bricks. All of the first floor walls and some ceilings were carved leather.

Image Insert:

2008112117594_IMG_6049M.jpg

144.23 KB

Image Insert:

20081121175957_IMG_6048m.jpg

112.87 KB

Image Insert:

2008112118034_IMG_6044m.jpg

77.29 KB

Image Insert:

200811211819_IMG_6045m.jpg

72.7 KB

Image Insert:

2008112118139_IMG_6050m.jpg

101.59 KB

Image Insert:

2008112118216_IMG_6047m.jpg

81.24 KB

Image Insert:

2008112118246_IMG_6043m.jpg

69.98 KB

But there is more to this home's history. It seems that about two years ago, before the present owner purchased it. Someone was murdered and stuffed into the furnace. The FBI took it away as evidence. These babies have been installed as replacements.

Image Insert:

2008112118340_IMG_6035m.jpg

53.43 KB

The house is already sold. It was bought by an out of state developer that has already built quite a bit on Staten Island. He plans on building on the property. The existing home is a protected landmark. He is going to build around it and use the house as a community clubhouse.

The caretaker (an old football team mate of mine) has been living there rent free plus a salary for the past few years and probably at least a few more.

Walter,

I googled lincrusta and anaglypta. I see what you are talking about and I guess it could be that. The only problem is that it seems that lincrusta was invented in 1877, I believe the house was build a few years prior.

I also googled leather wall coverings and found embrossed leather wall coverings with repetitive patterns, so I'm really not sure. I wonder how one would tell the difference without damaging the material?

Anyway, they say you can learn something new every day... today it was from you.

Thanks.

I just googled "Kreischer Mansion Staten Island", hoping to find out about the architecture of the house. I didn't find out much yet, but there is a ton of stuff about the murders and about the house being haunted.

And to think that my friend lives in that place all by himself. EEKS!!!

Originally posted by StevenT

I just googled "Kreischer Mansion Staten Island", hoping to find out about the architecture of the house.

Queen Anne

I didn't find out much yet, but there is a ton of stuff about the murders and about the house being haunted.

And to think that my friend lives in that place all by himself. EEKS!!!

Could it be the spirit of an old friend that lives there?

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

I think if one were to cut it up, run sandpaper over it and smell it, it wouldn't smell like leather, and it would turn out to be lincrusta or anaglypta. IIRC, both are essentially thick paper with embossed patterns.

WJ

I'm sure you're right. In 2 flats, it's usually a paperlike product, but we still (incorrectly) call it leather.

I actually saw real embossed leather, but it was in an old mansion they were tearing down on the south side.